Thirty-Four

November Eleventh, 1918

The day the The War to End All Wars had come to an end, the streets of France were alive for once since the war started. The partying had just begun and when the soldiers would arrive in the next week the streets would be even more full of life.

Thomas chuckles as he and Marie step to the side on the gobbled street, he securely wraps his arm around Marie making sure she doesn't get lost in the chaos.

"My god" Marie mumbles as she holds onto Thomas tightly.

"Lighten up lumière des étoiles" Thomas chuckles as he guides Marie safely back towards the palace.

Marie blushes at the new found nickname Thomas had given her, lumière des étoiles it means starlight. Thomas jokes once that even in the pitch black of night Marie had the radiance of the brightest star, hence the nickname.

"News truly does break out easily" Marie says looking around at the people celebrating that the war was over. Thomas stares down at his girlfriend as the autumn wind blows past them.

"This is the best news we have heard since the war started, let them have their joy" Thomas smiles.

Marie enjoyed seeing her boyfriend smile, he did it often around her but when it came to others his smile was forced, She knew his dreams were consumed about his past. Scarlett use to tell Marie that Cole still got nightmares of his first war and now Marie couldn't help but sense that Thomas got nightmares everyday.

The bags under his eyes tell everyone he doesn't sleep but the smile plasters on assures everyone he's fine, but today was different his smile, a genuine smile that wasn't directed towards Marie reached his eyes.

Thomas tips his head down at the palace guards as they open and quickly shut the gates behind the young adults, with ease the two slip into the palace, less excitement was shown. It was quiet.

"Where is everyone?" Marie questions looking around and seeing no one.

"Garden?" Thomas suggests as he unwraps his arm from Marie and tugs her forward. Marie allows him to lead her towards the back.

The children weren't around and Marie wondered if they were out enjoying the celebrations like everyone else. As Marie glances around the garden she pauses when she see Scarlett and Cole by Brandon. They were seated in front of his headstone.

"Come, we should leave them be" Thomas says looking down at Marie. She slowly nods and allows him to guide her away.

It wasn't often when Marie would catch her parents by Brandon, it hardly happened. Marie doesn't listen as she hears Thomas ask in French where everyone else was. The solider replies and says they went into town.

Thomas sighs "shall we head back into the madness?"

"No I feel too queasy to go back into there" Marie sighs.

"You okay?" Thomas looks down worriedly.

"Just all the excitement as me anxious" Marie shrugs. Thomas presses his lips to her temple with a soft smile.

"Well I heard you were learning a new song, will you?" Thomas suggests to her new piano piece.

"It isn't finished" Marie comments, Thomas shrugs.

"I just enjoy hearing you play lumière des étoiles, is it too much to ask?" Thomas asks. Marie shakes her head and leads him into the art room.

William, Susanna, and Nicholas walk into the palace, smiles plastered on the younger two Marshall children "have you ever seen anything just as alive?" Nicholas asks as William offers Susanna a walnut.