Author [@writtenbyemmie]

Welcome, everyone. Today we have the lovely writtenbyemmie

A big thank you to her for taking the time to answer these questions.

If you haven't read her book then please do.  Especially her book Obliviate, It's amazing...

Without further ado...

....

What inspired you to start writing?

I think I've always had a pretty vivid imagination. I'd constantly imagined what such classic and beloved films and stories would be like if there was another character or key plots were changed. I guess initially I always looked for the stories I wanted to read until I realised that I was never truly going to get exactly what I was looking for. So, that's how Obliviate started.  

Did you have any writers' block along the way? how did you get past them? 

So many! I still do all the time. It's hard sometimes (I've even contemplated giving up entirely). My main support system is the readers and thus I've often asked their opinion to gather some inspiration and motivation to write. Mostly I re-watch the movies or re-read the books (if I'm writing Obliviate) . . . but once you get motivation back and a storm of new ideas, the possibilities seem endless. . . it's just getting to that point. If I'm honest, I've got a bit of a writer's block at the moment . . . but it'll pass they always do. . . 

Do you see yourself in any characters and why? 

I'm not sure really. I guess I see aspects of myself and traits that aspire to in numerous characters in Obliviate. Evidently, creating a new protagonist such as Rosalie Malfoy, gives any writer the opportunity to create someone that's reflective of themselves or what they aspire too. Even if there is some differentiation between the two; that's what makes it realistic. But more so the characters that Rosalie has been shaped by and interacts with are truly a reflection of how developed and matured my writing has become over the years. I do see myself also in Hermione a little - perhaps that's the reason behind their friendship (and the fact I wanted Hermione to have a female friend who wasn't from Hogwarts). There are many little Easter eggs of my true self throughout the novel, hidden within countless characters that I've tried to give new life in my books.

How old were you when you started writing?

Quite young. I'll just say I've been writing for a bit now - a few years at most online. But those who were witness to some of earlier writing will understand that it definitely matured with age. 

Can you remember what you felt when you first started writing? what did you feel? 

I was very scared; terrified that no one would read my stories or even take notice of them. But I persevered (which is one of my biggest tips!) and one day it just clicked. To be honest, when I first started writing it was quite immature and shallow (but possibly expected given my age) and so it's nice to read over the newest version of Obliviate and see how far it's come in terms of depth and plot lines. 

where do you get your ideas from? 

Mostly the Harry Potter novels - but also from many other films, novels and experiences I've had in life. I think it makes it slightly more believable if you can imagine yourself as one of the characters in the situation. I've combined so many different ideas and situations in my head, to try and create the most intriguing and unpredictable novel. It always helps when you receive feedback from your readers, positive or even constructive criticism (which can be tough to hear at times). It's honestly what keeps you writing and developing all the time!

What do you like to do when you're not writing? 

I love to get outside and spend time with my friends!! I also love watching movies and new reading stories. 

What does your family think about your writing? 

They actually have no idea that I write - it's kind of something that's always been my little secret.

What do you think makes a good story? 

It's hard to say honestly - in my opinion, if you're going to write any story but a fanfiction, in particular, you have to know your facts and do your research. The last thing you want is to have a disconnected storyline that your readers don't understand (especially if it's based on a film or novel where they can fact check easily) - so definitely plan and research. But more importantly, I think you need to be passionate about what you're writing since that's ultimately what shines through. Anyone can be a writer - I was honestly terrible when I first started but I've learnt so much along the way (and I'm still learning all the time) and it's helped me become the writer I am today! 

What's your favourite genre? 

That's a tough one! I love many genres (though I tend to stay away from horror – it's not exactly my cup of tea!) and particularly when authors blend genres together. I love romance and action/adventure - a little comedy never hurt and evidently fantasy with my love for Harry Potter.

Do you work on an outline or just go with the flow? 

For the most part, I like to work on an outline that has what the key points for the story are and a vague (but honestly always changing) end goal. But for all the chapters in between, I start with an outline of what I want to happen and sometimes it works and other times I just get an idea and run with it. Like I said it's always changing even my vision for the end of the story. Sometimes, you just have to see where something takes you. . . and often it can lead to a new idea that just perfect for your story. 

Do you have anything specific you want to say to readers? 

Yes! So much that I honestly cannot put it into words! They are truly the reason why I'm still writing and since I've never shared this with my family - the readers have become a support system for me. I can't thank them enough for being incredibly patient with me and I promise this book will finish soon. . . and perhaps there's a sequel planned too xxx 

And lastly, Do you have any advice for new writers. 

Write down whatever you thinking! Don't worry about how many people have voted or read your story - that's not what this is about. It's about you expressing your ideas and there are so many people willing to read new things. I can't stress enough the amount of advice available online and how bouncing your ideas off someone can really help you progress as a writer. Just trust your gut instinct - everyone has to start somewhere. Good luck!! 

...

Well, that's it, everyone. A big thank you to 

Don't forget to vote, share and comment.