Author [@genniefromtheblock]

Welcome, everyone. Today we have the lovely genniefromtheblock

A big thank you to her for taking the time to answer these questions. she is such a sweet person and so humble so please If you haven't read her books then please do. They are literally amazing...

Also dedicated to the lovely lua880 for requesting this interview and who also introduced me to @genniefromtheblock , I wouldn't have found her otherwise.

Without further ado...

...

1. What inspired you to start writing?
Wattpad. I started reading on Wattpad several years ago and I've always loved the idea of creating my own reality. I had so many ideas but I never had the courage to put them into words but Wattpad kind of gave the first impetus to my first story.

2. Did you have any writers' block along the way? how did you get past them?
So many times. My writer's block usually occurs when I pressure myself too much into writing and finishing my work. When that happens I try to relax and remember why I started writing the book in the first place. Long walks help me to gather my thoughts. For me, a writer's block is just my mind telling me that I should take a step back and make a pause. After a few days of even weeks, I tend to see things from a different perspective. I believe it's important to recharge your batteries every once in a while and I guess everyone has their one way to do so.

3. Do you see yourself in any characters and why?
All of my characters have parts of me in them. No matter if good or bad. But I think that applies to nearly every author because we all tend to put a part of ourselves in our characters, intentionally and unintentionally. That's what makes them so important to us. 

4. How old are you?
I'm 20

5. How old were you when you started writing?
I was 13 when I started writing my first story but it wasn't really good so I gave up writing for a while and started again here on Wattpad when I was 17.

6. Can you remember what you felt when you first started writing? what did you feel?

. It felt amazing. All of my ideas in my head turned into reality. I've always had this dream to finish one of my stories because I'm not a disciplined person. I start a lot of thing because I have so many ideas and then I lose myself in the chaos. I felt powerful because I had the opportunity to control every word, action or emotion that was happening in the book. I could made the readers feel what I wanted them to feel by typing some words on paper. I think writing is a powerful tool and I'm glad that I started doing it and have received such positive feedback.

7. What's your outside life like?
Pretty average. I'm currently studying at University. Other than that I spend my time writing, reading, learning languages, hanging out with my friends and enjoying life.

8.where do you get your ideas from?

Whatever strikes my inspiration. TV-Shows, movies, books or real-life etc.

9. What do you like to do when you're not writing?

I have a huge passion for learning languages. It's one of my biggest hobbies besides writing. And I used to act in a theater when I was younger but not anymore, unfortunately.

10. What does your family think about your writing?

The only ones who know about my writing are my mother and father. Only my mother has read a translated version of my work because both of them don't speak English. But she told me that she liked it. My parents are supportive when it comes to my writing.

11. What do you think makes a good story?

 I believe it doesn't matter about what you write as long as you do it with passion. Your work is often a reflection of your own emotional effort you put into a story and readers are very perceptive when it comes to things like that. You can see through their if someone if really loving their work or not. Everyone has their own signature style or topic they love to write about and that's what makes them unique and popular among the readers. I, for example, could never write horror or thrillers because it's just not my genre and my writing would definitely reflect my aversion for that topic. My readers would get bored or annoyed very easily because I am too. There is no recipe for a perfect book. Just love what you do and the rest will follow. 

12. What's your favourite genre?
 I love Romance, Teen Fiction and Humor. My favourite kind of books are RomComs with some crime elements.

13.Do you write on wattpad or do you use software (like Microsoft word)?
 I write on Word.

14. What's the hardest thing to write, for you and why?

Overly detailed descriptions when I'm not in the mood for it. But my biggest pet peeves are guy's POV. I just suck at writing from a male characters perspective :D

15.Do you work on an outline or just go with the flow?

 Depends. I used to go with the flow but when I started writing more seriously with a more complex story I need to plot otherwise I'd be screwed. My first book was purely writing out improvisation but my last one was planned out meticulously.

16.Do you have anything specific you want to say to readers?

 I'm grateful for anyone who is reading my works. Especially my current story Goodness Gracious has really grown on me and I'm so happy to see that there are people who enjoy reading my stories as much as I enjoy writing them. I hope that we still have a long journey ahead of us and I'm lucky to have you guys by my side ❤️

17. And lastly, Do you have any advice for new writers.

Write. I know how that sounds but that is basically all you need to do. There is no use in taking hundreds of writing advice when you haven't figured out who you are as a writer. Find your own voice and then try to perfect it the way you want it to. My writing wasn't the best when I started but I learned through experience. I still have a lot to learn but that's what writing is about. You learn new things every day and how to integrate them in your writing. That's what gives every writer a personal note. You'll be criticized a lot and have hundreds of breakdowns because you think your writing isn't good enough but that is part of the process. It's not about either failing or winning but how many times you have to fail until you receive the success you deserve. Sometimes it happens in a blink of an eye, but sometimes it takes a little longer. Finished work is just a reward at the end of your journey and you need to make sure that you enjoy it. It's not about the ending, it's about the story. Literally.

...

There you have it, don't forget to vote, comment and share. Also if you want a specific author to be interviewed then please let me know.