Author [@Twoony]

Welcome, everyone. Today we have the lovely  Twoony

A big thank you to her for taking the time to answer these questions.

If you haven't read her books then please do. They're amazing...

Without further ado...

What inspired you to start writing?

I started writing after my parents divorced. I was pretty frustrated and angry so that was my way of coping. At first, it wasn't so much stories but more like journal entries, but those entries lead to me wanting to write stories. My stories and characters became a way to vent, even if I didn't always realize it.

Did you have any writers' block along the way? how did you get past them?

Yes, actually my most popular story, Speak the Truth, came due to writer's block. Personally, I found writing something just for fun without any idea of where I was going with the story really helped. Simply sitting down and writing whatever came to mind really got the creativity flowing until I did come up with the energy and inspiration to write a fleshed-out story. But I also went about reading a lot, both novels and manga. It's nice to get lost in someone else's story and the love for that can often help me come to love my own.

Do you see yourself in any characters and why?

Oh, I think I put a little bit of myself into every character I have, some obviously more so than others. It's either to make them more realistic by basing their feelings or experiences off my own or the desire to simply write about something that may be bothering me and hope it makes me feel better. I don't think any of my characters are exactly like me but there are definitely plenty of similarities, some I may not even realize lol

How old are you?

25

How old were you when you started writing?

Ten, but that was all journals and personal ramblings. I didn't start sharing stories online until I was twelve. Some may remember a site called Quizilla, it was used for silly quizzes mostly until they allowed stories and some fun "create your own ending" type deals so that was where I posted fanfictions mostly.

Can you remember what you felt when you first started writing? what did you feel?

Mm, I can't really recall that far back but I think it's safe to assume some sort of relief. I just remember writing because it made me feel better then it became something I wanted to do for the rest of my life. It was calming, allowing me to get my thoughts and feelings out in a productive and safe manner.

Where do you get your ideas from?

Oooh, a mix of things really; TV, manga, anime, video games and, of course, novels. I'm a slow watcher/reader because of it lol When something inspires me, I drop everything I'm doing to write. There is the occasional real-life situation that may give me an idea, but I definitely lean more towards inspiration from the art that I consume.

What do you like to do when you're not writing?

Read, watch TV, listen to music and play a lot of Overwatch (terribly, but I give myself an A for effort lol) When my friends aren't working we tend to play a lot of board games, mostly strategy games. The Arena and Gloomhaven are two we've played recently that was a lot of fun so things like that tend to take up my free time :)

What does your family think about your writing?

There are only two people in my family that really know about my writing, my dad and my brother. Others know that I write but have never read it nor even know where to find it since I write LGBTQ+ content but live in a very rural and...less than accepting area. It's safer to not say, so those family members are more curious and a bit disbelieving of my accomplishments since I don't share a lot. My dad and brother, however, are very proud. Both read my stories and have purchased the ones that they can. They'll brag to anyone who listens, which is both flattering and embarrassing lol

What do you think makes a good story?

Characters. A plot can be full of twists and turns or even the writing can be poetic and beautiful, but if the characters are not relatable, likeable or lovable than that doesn't matter at all. Whereas plot and writing style can be unbelievably simple yet standout among all the others because of the characters, because of their growth, their determination, their love, their humor, something about them that makes them and their story unique or fascinating. Obviously not everyone can relate to a character, but having them grow and change throughout the story brings an element of attachment that draws the reader in. I am especially fond of villains so give me a good villain, one I can sympathize with and, wow, that's the best kind of story!

What's your favourite genre? and why?

Fantasy; doesn't matter if it's low or high fantasy, middle grade to adult, I just like a story of magic and wonder.

What's the hardest thing to write for you and why?

Mm, action scenes probably? Although I thoroughly enjoy action scenes and have fun writing them, I struggle with whether or not they make sense or if the vocabulary becomes too repetitive or too simple.

Do you work on an outline or do you just write with the flow?

I tend to do both depending on the story lol Sometimes I have the urge to just write without a destination in mind or maybe just a single moment in the story that I want to lead up to. When I do that I'll go with the flow and just make notes for myself. However, if the story is complicated (tending to fall more on the fantasy side) than I'll go into extreme detail with character sheets, history, a book outline and even chapter outlines.

Do you have anything specific you want to say to readers?

Oooooh, I always have a lot to say to them! First off, obviously I'd like to say thank you for reading, for supporting me and sticking around through the good and the bad. I'm sorry for the times that I haven't updated as quickly as you may have liked, but I appreciate the support given during such times. Thanks for following me from one platform to the next and for giving stories a try that you may not have originally thought you would like. It has helped me a lot as a writer to try different genre's that you've stuck with me through! I hope that my stories make you happy or bring a bit of light on a dark day. And I know some of you want to write to yourselves so I wanna tell you to go for it! I won't lie and say it's easy or that you won't feel nervous, but it isn't a lie when I say it's worth it. It's worth giving it a try and doing your best, that's all that matters!

And lastly, Do you have any advice for new writers

Similar to what I said before, it isn't easy and you'll likely be nervous but it's definitely worth it. Don't focus on numbers of reads or comments, focus on how much fun you're having or how it makes you feel to write. Don't feel bad for asking questions and don't compare yourself to other writers. Sometimes I still do this (we all do), but it's important to remind ourselves that we're all different and so our writing will be different. Focus on growing as a writer, not comparing yourself to others.

...

There you have it, Don't forget to vote, share and comment.