III • THE END OF THE AFFAIR

three. the end of the affair

Rosie Kartwright's Residence, Rosie's Bedroom

Rosie is soundly asleep on her big queen-sized bed in the middle of her excessively spacious bedroom of the large manor. She turns over to the left, only to unexpectedly rest her head on a masculine, muscular, unfamiliar chest owned by none other than the oldest Salvatore brother, smiling down at her in his regularly smug manner, "Rise and shine, sleepy head."

Damon is lying on the bed beside her with his hands behind his head. Rosie, who's truly surprised of his sudden presence, suddenly sits up in the bed.

"Aah! What are you doing?! Get out!"

"You know you were dreaming about me. Explains the drool."

"Ugh. Oh, my God." Rosie looks at her alarm clock on her cell phone, "Six A.M. Seriously? Do you really have nothing better to do at six A.M.?"

"Fine, don't come with me to bring Stefan home. See ya." Damon gets up.

"Wait. Wait, wait, wait. What? What are you talking about? Where is he?"

"Windy city." Her regularly smug best friend simply replied.

"He's in Chicago? Well, how do you know?" Rosie asked, genuinely curious.

"It came to me in a dream. I was naked. You would have loved it. Start packing." Damon asked her, "Or I can pack for you. Whatever you want."

"What is he doing there? Is he okay?" She asked in deep concern, wondering whether he's trailing after werewolves once again with Klaus to sire more hybrids. Although are there even any werewolves in Chicago to begin with?

"Well, let's just say he's not there to meet Oprah." Damon opens one of her cabinets and takes a pair of her light pink underwear, smiling at her from the big vanity mirror right in front of him, "Ooh. Put these in the 'yes' pile."

She gets up, takes it from his hands and puts it back in the cabinet, "Perv."

****

Damon's 1969 Chevy Camaro Convertible, Road

Damon and Rosie are driving on a highway to Chicago in his own car.

"I sure hope we find him, 'cause it would suck if the last memento of Stefan was that crappy old ring." Damon mentioned the emerald diamond ring, which actually belonged to his mother, having an immediate distaste to it. The ring is old, just like his mother's old grave, and it reminds him of her; much like his father, his mother usually saw him as the least favourite son. Of course, everyone else did too, because it's always going to be Stefan. No wonder his brother was the one who should have had a successfully joyful life with an amazing wife and a whole brand new life ahead of him to more success, one who lived up to both of their parents' expectations...while he was the irresponsible one, who should have died in the cold battlefield as he was enlisted in the army only to please their typically judgmental father. Therefore, he really doesn't need a constant reminder of his bitter past.