V • THE RECKONING

five. the reckoning

Salvatore Boarding House

Rosie gives Elena a crystal glass of bourbon in the living room after Damon has rescued the human doppelgänger from having her blood taken at the local hospital by Klaus, who made her end up in the hospital in the first place by using his powerful mind compulsion on Stefan to switch his humanity off and feed on her at the local high school on senior prank night.

"Here, have some bourbon. It'll help you forget."

"Thanks." Elena slowly takes the glass and drinks but doesn't seem to like it.

Rosie chuckles, "Yeah, it's strong. I don't drink bourbon much. You know, I can help you forget too. At least the memories you don't want to keep."

"No." Elena shakes her head, "No compulsion. I need to remember. All of it."

She carefully holds up the vervain necklace, which Katherine stole from Bonnie easily, and Damon stole it back from her, and he gave it to Rosie.

"Damon stole it back for you. He asked me to give it back." Rosie said.

"You should've seen Stefan tonight. He's really gone this time. I watched it happen. After everything that you went through to get...to help him. Now he's just...gone." Elena shakes her head as she remembers his vampire face; he has officially become the bloodthirsty Ripper once again, thanks to Klaus' compulsion. How is he ever going to get his humanity back now?

Rosie puts the necklace on the coffee table beside them.

"Where were you, Rosie?" The victimized Gilbert girl looks at her friend in wonder, as if she feels absolutely disappointed of her absence tonight.

"I'm sorry, Elena, but I was just, I was just so upset. Stefan's off the rails, Damon ran off to God knows where. I know I shouldn't have hid myself and shut everyone out. So I promise you...I will never leave you again."

They look at each other significantly until a smooth-as-silk familiar masculine voice is heard by the wide open door, "Well, isn't this cozy?"

They both look aside and see Stefan leaning against a pillar at the edge of the room. Rosie gets up as they're both truly surprised of his presence.

"Stefan." Rosie mentioned in great alarm, sensing how carefree he seems.

"Hey, Princess." Stefan smiles smugly at his ex-girlfriend, "I missed you."

"What are you doing here?" Rosie asked him, frowning in deep concern.

Stefan walks into the room towards the mini bar and pours himself a drink.

"Last I checked, I live here. Klaus is gone, but he's asked me to keep watch on you until he returns. From now on, you're under my protection." Stefan looks at the speechless human doppelgänger, holds up his crystal glass to his other ex-girlfriend and takes a drink, "Mmm, by all means. Carry on."

He walks out of the room. Rosie and Elena look at each other.