XXXVII • STAND BY ME

thirty-seven. stand by me

Nova Scotia Island, Tomb of Silas, Canada

Elena, after she was attacked by her selfish vampire doppelgänger earlier on, finds Jeremy Gilbert's lifeless body in the dark cave at the end of the tunnel in the lower chamber, after his own blood was forcefully fed to awaken the ancient immortal by the selfish Katherine Pierce, who was posing as Elena initially to get there in the very first place. The Gilbert sister, with a trail of dry blood on her forehead, holds her drained-of-blood lifeless brother in her arms desperately, talking frantically and crying in pure horror.

"Jeremy! Oh, no. No. No. Oh, God, no. Oh God..." She checks his right hand; the resurrection ring is still on his finger, "It's fine. It's fine. It's fine. You're going to be okay. The ring will bring you back. It's okay. It's okay. You're going to be okay. You're going to be okay, Jeremy. You're going to be fine."

Rosie walks in before Stefan does and they look on in pure shock and sympathy before the former finds that the box with the cure inside of it is nowhere to be seen anymore, considering Katherine already stole it away.

****

Nova Scotia Island, Upper Cave Chamber, Canada

"How'd this happen?" Damon asked the two of his closest, reliable people.

"It was Katherine. She must have been following us this whole time." Stefan responded in a genuinely tired manner with a shaky sigh about their ex.

Of course she would go after the cure as well. Almost everyone is. Although the real question is, why would she even want it? Does she need to use it?

"What about the cure, or Silas?" The icy blue-eyed vampire brought up, knowing that Silas must probably be revived already by now due to the blood intake in which he already drained Jeremy, thanks to Katherine.

"If there was anything in there at all, it's all gone." Rosie shakes her head, "We're too late, and Katherine wins again." A genuinely tired sigh leaves her.

"No way. Where the hell is Bonnie?" Damon asked with a hint of concern.

"We have no idea. She went looking for Jeremy last night. She never came back." The naturally green-eyed vampire replied in more deep concern.

Rosie informed the oldest Salvatore brother sympathetically, "Damon, Elena is in there waiting for the Gilbert ring to bring Jeremy back to life."

"Okay, fine. I'll wait with her." Damon starts walking toward the well opening but his brother quickly puts up a hand to stop him immediately.