XXVI • THE FIVE

twenty-six. the five

Salvatore Boarding House

Rosie Kartwright is closely examining the centuries-old hunter's mark on a carved wooden stake, genuinely curious to know about Connor Jordan's true background. Damon Salvatore walks into the library, in which both she and Stefan are remaining together, with some big boxes on his shoulder.

Stefan mentioned curiously about the supplies first, "So what is all this?"

"Some personal items that I snaked from the vampire hunter's RV. May he rest in peace. I'm searching for a supernatural handbook." Damon hinted about knowing more on the intriguing brand new vampire hunter in town.

Rosie and Stefan share a hesitantly relatable look of 'Are you sure?' briefly.

"And you know for a fact that he was supernatural?" The ex-ripper asked even though he doesn't believe that the brand new hunter is that special.

"Definitely wasn't natural. The guy magically appeared just as someone blows up the entire Founders Council. He's covered in a tattoo that only Jeremy Gilbert — of all people in the world — seems to be able to see. Klaus mentioned something about him being one of The Five. Then he kamikazes himself with explosives. Sound natural to you?" Damon listed out sarcastically, remaining morbidly curious to know more about the hunter.

"What's The Five?" Rosie questioned with naturally genuine curiosity.

"That's what I'm hoping is in the first chapter of the handbook, Princess." Damon's mobile phone rings and he answers it, "Liz Forbes, my favourite sheriff." He instantly looks concerned by what she has said on the other end of the line, "What? That's...concerning. Keep me posted." He hangs up.

"What is it?" Rosie asked, starting to get deeply concerned as well by him.

"You're not going to tell us?" Stefan guessed with his muscular arms folded, remaining satisfactorily smug that his brother seems to try to distract himself these past few days from the known fact that him and Rosie are back together after unbearable months of being far apart from each other.

"Can't tell you both. Private. Pouty and I are in a fight." Damon mentioned.

"Tsk. You're in a fight. I'm not in a fight, I'm over it, I've been over it, and stop calling me names." Rosie snapped at him in crystally pure annoyance, defensive of herself, which only makes the brother smile in amusement.

"Not still mad at me about Elena?" Damon brought up, as if to provoke her.

"You let her feed on you. I'm always going to be mad at you but we're not in a fight. We can't be in a fight, Damon, I'm your only friend now." Rosie said.

"Very well, then. They didn't find any remains at the explosion site." Odd.

Stefan continued effortlessly as a conclusion, "So Connor's still out there."