XVIII • THE MURDER OF ONE

eighteen. the murder of one

Alaric Saltzman's Apartment

Rosie walks up the main stairs, carrying breakfast in a dark blue bag by morning for Alaric. She knocks on his front door and Damon answers it.

"Morning sunshine." The icy blue-eyed vampire greeted her, smiling.

The caramel brunette returns his friendly smile, "Hey, how's Alaric?"

She moves to walk into the loft, but Damon closes the door slightly to block her way, as if blocking her from coming inside, "Indecent, but fine."

"Okay, so then, does that mean there were no issues last night?" She asked.

"Nope. Slept like a baby, woke up Alaric. No head minds about dead Council members." Her smug vampire best friend replied simply with assurance.

"Then why do I feel like you're hiding something from me?" Rosie asked.

"Well, maybe because you're being all paranoid and control freaky. What'd you bring me?" He takes the bag from her and sniffs it, "Ooo, chocolate muffins. You know what they say; a way to a psycho killer's heart is through his stomach." The typical smug smile shows up on his handsome face.

Rosie takes the bag back from him, "Mm...they're not for you. Sorry."

"Fine. Keep convincing yourself you're still mad at me. But sadly, Ric's going to have to miss Rosie time today. You know, lockdown and all."

"Just take it and give it to him and tell him that Elena misses him, okay?" The sweet, caring hybrid hands her best friend the blue bag of muffins.

"With pleasure." Damon simply replied with a nod.

"Please."

He starts to shut the door on her, "Have a great day, thanks for coming by."

"Dam--"

He closes the door and walks over to Alaric and Stefan, who are standing by a miter saw with the Wickery Bridge wooden sign. He listens to her leaving.

"Walking down the stairs, opening the front door, and she's gone."

****

Mystic Falls Woods

Caroline, Elena and Rosie are walking past the tall trees side by side.

"Alaric Saltzman killed my father?" The blonde surmised in absolute shock and disbelief that the local AP History teacher is also the local serial killer, having a split personality after being resurrected many times by the ring.