XLII • SHE'S COME UNDONE

forty-two. she's come undone

Salvatore Boarding House

The eighteen-year-old blonde Forbes girl storms in through the main front door, talking to Rosie while she looks around for her emotionless friend.

"Where is she? I want to see her." Elena Gilbert remains to have her humanity switched off after she passed out from the vervain injection.

"Sorry, Caroline. We're not letting anyone see her, that's the whole point. Isolation leads to misery leads to emotion." The young hybrid listed out.

"She's been here for days. She hasn't improved at all?" Caroline asked.

The big hazel-eyed one shakes her head, "Look, she doesn't want to, Caroline, not yet. You'd understand, she's devastated; she lost her brother, she-she attacked her friend, she killed an innocent woman. She's a mess." Therefore, once she has her emotions back, being a mess would be a huge understatement for her because the emotions she repressed will return.

"You said that you knew how to help her." The younger one recalled.

"I did say that, yeah. We are. Stefan and Damon anyway." Rosie shrugs.

"What, how? By torturing her?" Caroline asked in judgmental concern.

"It's not torture, it's an intervention. The only chance we have with her is to provoke her, to trigger something. Fear, anger, self-pity, anything."

"Let me talk to her. Before any more interventioning. If she's weak, she can't hurt me. Please, just let me try." The blonde asked desperately, considering she is Elena's best friend since childhood, after all; trustworthy.

"Hm." Rosie remains to look reluctant by this firm suggestion but they walk downstairs to the basement cellar anyway, "Good luck." She walks back upstairs alone as Caroline looks at the thirsty Elena for a few moments, sympathetic, and withdraws a plastic bottle of blood from her pocket.

Upstairs later on, Damon noisily sets down a fire extinguisher and Elena startles awake, groggily finding herself strapped down in a chair on the main level of the house before a closed curtain. Rosie is leaning against the wall, watching the intervention, as Stefan walks around the dimly lit room.

"Good, you're awake. Thought you could use a little sunshine." Damon said.

Stefan pulls the thick curtain back a little, allowing a ray of sunlight to creep in closer to the emotionless one, who looks down at her right hand.

"Looking for this?" Rosie holds up the daylight ring in front of her as she walks closer to stand beside Damon, the ring between her right index finger and thumb; she reaches for it as much as the tight bonds on her wrists will allow, but the young hybrid pulls it away, smiling, "Sorry, not sorry."