XIX • HEART OF DARKNESS

nineteen. heart of darkness

Salvatore Boarding House

Rosie walks down the stairs into the basement with a bag. She walks up to the door to one of the cellars and peers through the barred door window.

"Alaric?"

"Yep. Still me."

She unlocks the big heavy door and steps into the cellar; Alaric is sitting on a cot in the room, "You know, you shouldn't be in here, even though you're a hybrid. It defeats the point of the whole being locked in a cellar thing."

The hybrid drops the bag on the ground, "Well, you still need the basics, you know. Toothbrush, clothes, some boring books to help you sleep. In here." She's honestly tired of listening to condescending lectures that she can't protect herself even though she's a hybrid, who's over one hundred years old; she has taken care of herself for a really long time now without any aid.

Alaric takes out one of the old books from the bag and hands it back to her, "Doctor Jekyll and Mister Hyde?" By Robert Louis Stevenson of 1886; a strangely narrative case about the complexities of science and the duplicity of human nature, being that Doctor Henry Jekyll is a kind, well-respected and intelligent scientist who meddles with the darker side of science, as he wants to bring out his 'second' nature, much relatable as Alaric's case. Although the only difference seems to be against his will of possessing a second nature after being resurrected too many times by the magical ring. He didn't ask for this, it just happened to him; just like what Rosie said.

"What? No, I grabbed...Damon." Rosie drops the old book on the ground with a look of 'Is he serious?' on her pretty face, "Thinks he's hilarious."

"At least one of us still has a sense of humor." Alaric mentioned in relief.

"Are you sure that you...? I mean, you don't have to be kept in here."

"Ah, no, this is...this is the right place for me to be. At least until you guys can convince my highly uncooperative alter ego to fess up to where I or he hid the white oak stake." Alaric nods a little of the significant reminder.

"Hmm. We looked everywhere. Unfortunately, 'he' hid it well." Rosie said.

"What's Klaus going to do if you can't find it?" Alaric asked in deep concern.

The caramel brunette shrugs, "It's the only thing that will kill him, so wage war, murder people, you know the predictable Klaus stuff." She pulls up a chair and sits down in it, "Listen, Stefan is going to watch over you for a little while. Now that Klaus knows where Jeremy is, it's not safe so, Damon and I are going to go to Denver to pick him up for Elena, who's busy." Therefore, she's going to go on a road trip with Damon alone, once again.