XXXIX • BECAUSE THE NIGHT

thirty-nine. because the night

Salvatore Boarding House

Stefan is talking to his brother on his cell phone as he steps into the parlor room where his adorable lover is waiting for him, smiling at each other.

"Hey, what do you mean you took her to New York?" Why there? In a city?

"And that tone is the reason I didn't pick up the phone the first twenty times you called. I mean, I'd probably pick up if Rosie's calling..." Damon said.

Stefan shakes his head at the saying while Rosie gives a 'Never' look.

"Where is she now?" The concerned green-eyed Salvatore brother asked.

Damon shrugs, "Out exploring. Maybe she's eating a hot dog...vendor."

Rosie finally piped in, "So I take it your search for Katherine is off?" Although they will never stop searching for the one and only existing cure.

"Relax, Princess. This little joyride is actually a cure hunt." Damon holds up an old photo of him and an old friend named Will, then lowers his arm as he looks at the front of an old establishment: Billy's, "That vampire that Katherine sent after Hayley was a friend of mine. He lived in the city. Will got vampires fake identities, and I'm sure that Katherine was one of his clients."

Considering she remained running away from Klaus and his minions at that time, therefore she asked for aid from Will to get her her own fake identity.

"And Elena's okay with this little field trip? Just yesterday she was living the vampire high life. She doesn't want the cure." Stefan reminded him before he and his understanding, loyal girlfriend share a look of 'Not that we care'.

"That's why I didn't tell her."

"Damon, if she finds out you're still looking for it, she'll bolt." He warned.

"I'm aware of that, Stefan. What I'm hoping is that she's going to be so wasted on booze and blood that she won't even think about it."

"Sure. Way to make yourself sound more like an idiot." Rosie snapped, "Don't underestimate her. Don't really get your hopes up, Damon."

"If I can handle my brother when he flipped his switch, I can handle her. Trust me." Damon assured them both breezily as if it's an easy task.

"Listen to me. She's ruthless without her humanity. The cure is the fastest way to get it back." Stefan prudently told him, "To turn her back to normal."

"Yeah, it seems like Klaus was right; she's insufferable as a vampire." Rosie pointed out with a tired sigh, "She's much better being a hybrid generator."

"Just be good to each other and keep Mystic Falls afloat for me and let me do my thing." Damon sees Elena walking up to him on the bustling concrete pavement, sporting a brand new hairstyle, "You both have got an immortal named Silas to deal with, remember? Oh, and don't forget to have fun."