IV • DISTURBING BEHAVIOR

four. disturbing behavior

 disturbing behavior

Gilbert Residence

Elena Marie Gilbert and Rosie Kartwright are cooking, aiding each other, at the stove in the kitchen while Damon watches them with a comment, "I just don't know why you want to bring chili to a potluck. Everybody brings chili." In fact, everybody knows that. Therefore, how do these two girls not know?

Although neither Elena or Rosie even care much about being like the rest. Cassandra Devon is sitting at the dining table, not far from them, alone while reading a top Chicago magazine, ironically, when Alaric Saltzman walks in to join her, as if he seems rather relieved to have found another adult to speak to around the house at the moment other than Damon.

"Cassie, hey."

The young woman looks up at him, smiling pleasantly in return, "Hey Ric."

"Hey, I didn't know you'd be joining us." Alaric remarked in a friendly tone, "I mean, it's great that you're here, you know. I meant that in a good way." It almost sounded as if he's flirting with the young woman in a subtle manner through how glad and grateful he is by her loyal presence even after her friend's — Jenna's — tragic demise, though she doesn't compare to her.

These subtle flirtatious remarks only earn them rather skeptical looks from Damon, Elena and Rosie at the stove at the thought of the pair together. Although, unfortunately, Cassie seems rather slow to catch up to his words.

"Well, Rosie's here, and I want to spend some time with her before she returns back to her life. I have to be a clingy friend for now." Cassie spoke as a genuine expression that she really missed Rosie to live with her at home.

"Understandable. So what's up?" Alaric asked them as he takes a seat opposite the young woman at the dining table, watching the nearby trio.

"Chili." Rosie replied as she gently puts the end of the wooden spoon to Damon's mouth to make him taste the chili which they are cooking together, considering he's good at it, and closely watches him, "Is it good?"

"What time do you want to go to the Lockwood party?" Cassie asked him.

"Ah. Those Founders' parties aren't really my thing." Alaric shrugs it off, considering for a well-known fact that he isn't one of the Founding families.

"Really?" Rosie asked as she didn't expect that from the History teacher.

"Show up, there's going to be nine other people that brought chili." Damon encouraged him in an obvious tone, "Even when I decided against it."

A scoff of pure annoyance escapes Elena at his pessimistic self, "Shut up."

"You don't have to be so judgmental. The theme is chili, so what?" Rosie spoke once again in the chestnut brunette's defense as she stirs the chili.