Chapter 1

The tiny bell on the door of the shopped tinkled as customers filed in, seeking shelter from the coming rain, the sweet aroma of coffee and biscuits enticing them to stay.

"What are you two lovely ladies doing here with the weather like this?" The barista asked, flashing the customers a charming smile.

A short girl smiled back. "We were out in the park on a date, but this rain really took us by surprise, didn't it?"

The other girl laughed, shaking her head. "Soaked in a millisecond. And it's only getting worse,"

Shaking his head, the barista handed over the EFTPOS machine. "That's England for you. A pity about your date, though,"

"Eh, we have our whole lives ahead of us," The two girls intertwined their hands together, smiling softly at each other. "We can miss one date,"

Turning around with the EFTPOS machine in hand, the barista sighed softly. It was beautiful how much those two could love each other, but he couldn't help but be envious. His whole life, he never really got much affection at all - besides from his best friend, James, who was his first real friend from the start of high school.

"Sirius, if you're finished hugging that machine, can you help with this Uber order?"

Rolling his eyes, Sirius put down the machine and turned around, hiding a smile. "Ugh, who made you manager, Evans?"

Lily Evans cocked an eyebrow, a hand on her hip. "Haha, very funny. Now get moving, these Ubers won't make themselves."

Tightening his black, messy ponytail, Sirius followed Lily to the back room to collect the list of orders.

The faint tinkle of the bell could be heard from behind the wall.

"Sirius, could you serve that customer?" Lily asked, gritting her teeth as she tried to open a new packet of plastic takeaway bags.

"Come on, Evans, do I get a please?"

"No. Go serve."

Sirius sighed dramatically. "You're hopeless."

"I do my job. Go serve or so help me-"

"I'm going, I'm going! Shit, Lily."

Wiping his hair out of his eyes, Sirius walked back into the serving area. "Hi, what can I do for you?"

A tall, lanky boy, dripping with water, his light brown hair plastered to his head stood in the waiting area, long scratches across his pale face. His hands were tucked in his pockets, a worn-out expression paired with the faint bags under his eyes. He looked around at who spoke to him, looking surprised. "Oh, sorry, no, I'm here for my shift. I, ah-" He grabbed a name badge with the cafe logo out of his pocket. "We mustn't have worked together before."

Lily came walking out of the back room, plastic bags piled up in her arms. "Oh, hey, Remus."

"Greetings, Lily,"

Remus, is it? Sirius eyed the stranger as he came to the back room, shaking off his wet hair. As he slipped off his jumper, Sirius noticed more pale scars along his white arms.

He took note of them for later.

Remus looked up, catching Sirius staring.

For a moment, he didn't do anything. Sirius just stared, and Remus stared back.

The redhead sighed impatiently. "Once you've finished ogling at Remus, Sirius-"

"Coming, coming, coming," Blushing slightly, Sirius turned away, tucking his loose hairs behind his ear.