Chapter 51

An hour or two later, the group had moved to another room, engaging in their separate conversations.

Remus and Lucius sat in tall-backed armchairs, talking about a book series that they surprisingly both liked. Sirius was also on a matching armchair, but he didn't contribute to the conversation, only stared warily at the light-haired, ponytail-wearing man.

James, Lily and Narcissa are sitting on a long, comfortable couch, catching up on child-rearing tips, childhood memories, family troubles and more.

The two babies sat on the floor in front of them, playing with their respective toys.

"Actually," Lily said, uncrossing her legs and leaning forward slightly.

Hooked, Narcissa leaned forwards as well.

"Professor Slughorn offered me a job!"

Touching her chest, Narcissa gasped. "No way!"

"In Australia!"

"No way! Surely you're joking!"

Beaming, Lily shook her head. "I'm not!"

"That's right, I completely forgot about that." Remus slid his hands through his curls. "We only had that conversation, what, just over a week ago?"

"That's right." James nodded, intertwining his fingers with Lily's.

The blonde woman put a hand on Lily's knee, her face in a huge smile. "Lily, that's an amazing opportunity! You'll take it, right?"

Lily and James looked at each other.

"That's the big question," James said. Everyone had turned to him and the room was in one conversation. "If Lily takes this opportunity, she'll be travelling a lot and going to places that aren't always that safe. She's well prepared to undertake that task, and I'm obviously coming with her, but the only problem is... Harry."

Lily continued. "Some places I'll be going aren't the healthiest and there are diseases and a lot of food insecurity plus more. It's not a place we'd want to raise Harry in."

"So what are you going to do?" Narcissa asked.

Lily sighed. "We don't know."

"Well, if you ever need a babysitter," Lupin put forward. He grabbed Sirius' hand. "We're here."

From the corner of his eye, Sirius saw Lucius' jaw harden, but the light-haired man otherwise didn't say anything.

"Thank you," Lily said warmly. "But I could never leave Harry. We couldn't leave him."

"We're trying to figure out next steps," James explained.

Remus ran his thumb over Sirius's hand subconsciously, nodding along with the conversation.

Sirius saw Lucius move slightly away. "What's your problem?"

Everybody looked at Sirius.

"Excuse me?" Lucius asked.

Sirius repeated himself. "What's your problem, Malfoy?"

"Hang on a sec, Siri," Lily rushed, eager to calm everyone down.

"I have no idea what you're talking about," Lucius narrowed his eyes.

"Oh yeah?" Sirius raised his eyebrows. "So you flinching at me holding my boyfriend's hand is something you do without thinking?"

"Sirius," Remus whispered, but he was no longer holding his hand.

"If you've got a problem with us, you can say it to my face instead of curling those pale lips of yours," Sirius challenged, standing up.

"Sirius, please wait a moment," Narcissa said, standing up too. "I know what it looks like, but you've got to understand that we were raised in the same environment as you and these things take time-"

"So you've got a problem with it, too?" Sirius said.

Lucius stood up. "Careful how you talk to my wife, Black."

"Sirius, sit down," Remus urged quietly.

"Not until Malfoy apologises." Sirius glared at Lucius who glared back.

"You dare challenge me in my own house, in front of my wife and child?" he said, his tone dangerously low.

"You know, your kid is gonna turn out just like you." Sirius shook his head, tightening his fists. "He's gonna be arrogant, snide and buying big houses with his endless money to fill the hole in his heart. Just like his daddy."

"That's enough!" Lucius fumed, his nose flared. "Get out of my-"

"Lucius, don't raise your voice," Narcissa scolded, but she slowly walked over to Sirius. "I am formally inviting you to leave this house immediately before I get the authorities involved," she said, her voice cutting like knives. Though she's shorter than Sirius, she most certainly has the power to instil fear in his heart. "Never talk to my son again. Not when you disrespect him and my husband. Leave."

Swallowing, Sirius quickly turned around and paced towards the door, not looking behind when he heard someone call his name.