Chapter 16

"Thank you, Euphemia, this was wonderful," Sirius said, picking up his empty dish, the remnants of eggs, bacon and toast only shown by the yellow smudges and crumbs stuck to the plate.

"Please, you don't have to do that," the older woman took Sirius' plate off him. "Our maid is on her day off, but if she were here that would be her job. For now, let me do it,"

James came down the stairs flicking back his wet hair, a towel over his shoulder. "Oh, you're still here, Mum?"

"Good morning, Jamesy," Mrs Potter smiled, placing the dishes in the sink. "Your father and I are just about to head off. The Thatchers' are expecting us in a few hours, the pilot said just to forward him a text when we were ready."

James nodded, nothing out of the normal for him. He slid his glasses onto his face. "We'll take good care of the house, don't worry,"

"I'm not worried, dear," Mrs Potter patted James' face. 

A short man with dark, thinning hair and glasses came into the room, his suit freshly pressed. "Are you ready, my dear?"

Mrs Potter looked at her watch. "Ah, I lost track of time. Alright, we'll be off," she gave James a kiss on the forehead and made Sirius bend down so that she could kiss his as well. "Just call if you boys need anything, okay? We'll see you in a week,"

"Alright, see ya later," James wiped his face and grimaced. "You give such wet kisses, Ma, tone it down!"

-----

Lounging on James' bed, Sirius held his phone. "Hey, James?"

"What's up?" James shouted back, buttering toast in the kitchen.

"Remus has invited me to a movie in a couple of hours," he said, looking at the text he just got. "Is that all good?"

"Of course, I'm not going to keep you lovebirds apart," James appeared at the doorway and took a few seconds to munch on his toast before saying, "Oh, but Mum and Dad took both cars, remember? You might need to catch a taxi,"

"Cool," Sirius tapped back into his messages.

James gave him a thumbs up before exiting the doorway again, leaving Sirius alone in his room.

Sirius: It's all good to go - Mr and Mrs Potter

took the cars so I might have to meet you

straight at the cinema

Remus: Do you want me to pick you up?

Sirius grimaced. He hadn't told Remus about the... recent events. He didn't know how he would react, and he definitely didn't want to trouble him.

Sirius: No no don't worry it's fine i'll catch a taxi

Remus: You're not catching a fucking taxi

when i can very easily pick you up.

I'm on my way, Black.

Rubbing his eyes, Sirius sighed. 

Sirius: Wait

Remus: ???

Sirius: Okay, fine

There's something i need to tell you

That i shouldve told you before

Suddenly, Sirius' phone started buzzing, Remus' contact photo appearing on his phone.

Swallowing, he picked it up. "Hello,"

"Sirius?" Remus said, causing Sirius to almost melt with relief at hearing his familiar voice. "Is everything okay? Where are you?"

Taking one last glance at the door, Sirius got up and sat on the edge of the bed, his feet hanging off the bed. "Hi,"

"What happened, Sirius?" Remus' voice sounded anxious.

"I'm at James'," he said in a low voice, not wanting James to overhear and get worried. "Things... went as expected, you could say, after the baby shower,"

Remus was silent for a few seconds, leaving Sirius listening to his own thumping heart.

"Why are you at James'?"

Rubbing his knees, Sirius swallowed again. "They kicked me out, Remus." He heard a sharp intake of breath on the other end of the call. "As soon as you dropped me off I grabbed my stuff and they arrived shortly after. Then..." he gingerly touched his face, remembering the sound of his mother's slap ringing his ears. "Then I left, and James picked me up,"

"Sirius... why didn't you tell me?"

Not having any words, Sirius just weakly shrugged.

"You know what, it doesn't matter. I'm coming over. I'll see you in a few minutes, okay?"

"Okay,"

"Hold on, I'll be there soon. Do you want me to stay in the call while I drive?"

"No, I-" Sirius cleared his throat. He rolled back his shoulders. "No, it's fine. You drive. I'll be here."

"Alright, if you say so. I'll see you soon,"

"Bye,"

Waltzing into the room, James held up his arm. "Sirius, do I stink? Is that just my nose?" he slowed immediately when he saw Sirius' face. "Is everything okay?"

"Remus knows. He's on his way,"

"Oh, shit, uh," he slowly lowered his arm. "Okay, um. Is that a good or a bad thing that he's coming?"

"I mean, good, but..." Sirius scratched his head, distraught. "How will he react?"

Sitting down next to him, James put an arm around Sirius. "Hey, this is Remus we're talking about. Remus cares for you, mate. He's probably worried about you and wants to know if you're okay. You always get yourself into trouble," he ruffled Sirius' hair, smiling tenderly. "I don't think you have anything to worry about, mate,"

Looking down, Sirius smiled appreciatively.

"One more thing, before he gets here,"

Taking in a deep breath, Sirius turned around. "What's up?"

"Do my armpits stink?"