Chapter 6

"I'll be right back, just bringing out the rubbish," Remus announced, picking up the three black bags.

Lily's eyes trailed after him as he exited the shop. The door swung open and drifted closed, the bell tinkling. The door was three inches away from closing. Two inches. One inch. Then-

Whipping around, Lily banged the bench in front of Sirius.

"The fuck-" Sirius yelped, jumping back. "What the hell?" he held out his arms on either side, glaring at the short girl.

"Sirius Orion Black, square the hell up!" She said forcefully, prodding his chest with a finger.

Eyes widening, Sirius looked from her finger to her face. "Care to explain?"

"You need to do this the right way, okay, you can't mess this up," Lily went off, pacing behind the counter. "This isn't something you can't take lightly, and I know how much you love not getting emotionally invested in things-"

"Wait, wait, wait," Sirius interrupted, turning Lily around to face him. "What are you talking about?"

"I'm talking about Remus, idiot," Lily said, thumping Sirius over the head. "You better start taking notes, boy,"

Sirius rubbed his head. "What do you mean, do what the right wa- ow!" he said, receiving another thwack from Lily. "Why do you keep-" Sirius ducked and caught Lily's next punch.

"Sorry," Lily apologised, crossing her arms. "I'm getting caught up in the moment."

Massaging his head, Sirius climbed up onto the bench, one leg crossed over the other.

"I just-" Lily sighed. "I need you to play your cards right. Remus is really sensitive, and just because he's in love with you doesn't mean that I'll let you off the hook-"

"Wait," heart thumping, Sirius slid off the bench. Suddenly his head didn't hurt anymore. "Wait, what did you say?"

Lily's eyebrows twitched, looking at the boy strangely. "I'm not going to let you off the hook?"

His mouth dry, Sirius shook his head. "The other part,"

"Just because Remus is in- oh shit," Lily clapped a hand around her mouth. "Uh, you didn't hear that from me,"

Sirius walked right up to Lily and grabbed her hands in his own, looking down into her eyes. "Lily, when was this?"

Lily swallowed nervously, looking down at their hands. "Uh, I-I don't know, Sirius I-" she looked up into Sirius' eager eyes and sighed. "Earlier today,"

The door tinkling, Remus walked into the store. "That bin is absolutely nauseating, it was maggot-central in there. Don't even talk to me about the smell. Be right back, washing my hands and eyes and mouth with bleach," he looked up at his coworkers and his disgusted expression turned into a confused one. "Er, did I come in at the wrong time?" When nobody answered, Remus cleared his throat awkwardly. "Well, erm, I'll be in the back room,"

"Sirius-" Lily began once Remus was out of earshot.

"Can we be excused for a moment?"

"I mean, it's only two minutes 'til eleven," Lily said, eyes glancing up at the clock on the wall. "But, Sirius-"

"Okay, thanks," Sirius promptly left the serving area, leaving Lily chewing her lip anxiously, wondering what she had done.

"Ah, Sirius," Remus said when Sirius came into the back room, relieved. "Is everything okay?"

"Can I talk to you for a second?" Sirius asked, already on his way out of the back door.

Concerned, Remus quickly followed him so that they were both out in the car park in the cold, night air. But before he could say anything, Sirius had him against the side of the building, their lips pressed together.

A surprised, muffled noise came from the taller boy, but he kissed Sirius back almost right away.

"Good talk," Remus said quietly, arms around Sirius' waist. "What was that about?"

"I love you, too," Sirius said, looking up into Remus' wide eyes.

Remus wanted to be shocked. He waited for the anxiety to seep in, but it didn't come. He couldn't keep the smile off his face. "Lily told you, did she?"

"Supposely," Sirius grinned.

Chuckling softly, Remus leaned down to kiss Sirius once more.

Sitting next to Remus on the stairs in the dark carpark, Sirius started to speak, not knowing how to say what he wanted to say, "Remus, I..."

"Hm?" Remus said, gently running his hands through Sirius' messy black hair.

"I... I want... I want to go on a date," Sirius could just see Lily's face if she ever found out that they hadn't gone on at least one date before.

Remus' hand briefly stopped, but then he continued stroking Sirius' hair. "Not where I thought that was going, but still appreciated. We can do that, when are you free?"

"Whenever. Now?"

Remus scoffed. "What, at half eleven at night?"

Sirius shrugged. "I don't see the issue,"

"Well, I do," Remus shook his head, caressing Sirius' frowny-face with a gentle finger. "What about tomorrow, are you working?"

Sirius' eyes went up as he recalled his shifts for that week. "I don't think so, no. Are you free lunchtime?"

Remus grinned. "Lunchtime it is," he kissed Sirius on the cheek.