Chapter 38

"All ready to go?" Remus asked, hovering by the window as he watched the rain pour down.

"Okay, now I'm ready,"

Remus turned around and sucked in his breath sharply.

Sirius widened his eyes. "What, too much? Did I go overboard with the suit?"

"No, no." Remus assured him, unable to look away. He quickly ran his hands through his hair. "Uh, no. You look... you look really good,"

Sighing, Sirius smiled. "Thank god. Thanks, babe." He put a hand around Remus' waist, kissing him on the cheek. "I thought that the flowery blouse was a little much, especially paired with the white beige blazer and pants,"

"'A little much' is the definition of your wardrobe, Sirius, and you look great in everything in it," Remus said honestly, making Sirius laugh.

"Keep it in your pants, Moony, save it for later,"

Remus shook his head.

The cottage door swung open. "Hi, guys!" Lily greeted cheerfully over the sound of the rain splatting against the pavement. She motioned them in. "Quick, come in. I didn't realise how hard it was pouring,"

Once they were inside and out of the rain, Lily squeezed them both in a hug. "Thank you for making it!"

"How very disgustingly adult of you to say," Sirius muttered, but he was smiling. "Now, where is my boy?"

"Well, Harry is just through the corridor-"

"What? No, not him. My boy: James!"

"Right." Lily shook her head. "Of course. Well, he's with Harry, so, through the corridor,"

"Perfect," Grinning, Sirius disappeared down the corridor.

Remus smiled down at Lily. "I can't believe it's almost been a year,"

"I know," the short girl beamed, tucking her hair behind her ear.

"I remember when we were standing here in the corridor but at James' parents place, long over a year ago,"

Lily nodded, remembering back to that moment. "That was where it all started, wasn't it?"

"You asked me to follow you upstairs, but before you even said anything I knew something was wrong,"

Lily looked surprised. "Really?"

Shaking his head, Remus chuckled, beginning to walk down the hallway. "You're a very expressive person, Lily,"

"I think it's just because you're very perceptive. Empathetic, too," Lily insisted, following him.

Remus rolled his eyes but smiled. "This isn't about me. God, I remember how scared you looked,"

"I was scared," Lily admitted. "I was terrified. Just... it wasn't meant to happen, you know? It was always our plan to have kids, but..." she draws in her breath. "We were intending on planning when. We had so much planned..."

"What are we talking about?" James asked happily, falling into step beside them.

Lily slid her hand into his. "We were talk- wait, who has Harry?"

"Relax," James assured her. "Sirius does,"

Lily made a face. "Somehow that doesn't make me any more relaxed,"

"Anyway, continue," Remus said, not wanting her to stress out. He knew Sirius would try to look after the baby as best he can. "You had so much planned...?"

"Oh, that's what we're talking about," James said quietly as Lily nodded. He looked down at her, gaze soft. "We had to rush our wedding, which turned out pretty well, actually. But... we still planned on honeymooning for a bit,"

"Which wasn't possible when we had to put all our attention to this kid," Lily finished. She and James made meaningful eye contact. "But," Lily said slowly. "We were thinki-"

"GUYS, GUYS, GUYS, HE SAID MY NAME! HE SAID MY NAME!"

Everybody looked up to see the overly excited Sirius with Harry clinging onto his hands.

He gave them a thrilled grin before looking down at the child. "Harry, hey, Harry," he said in a higher-pitched baby-talking voice. "Can you say Padfoot? P-P-P..."

The child looked up at him with the wide, green eyes that he inherited from Lily. He began babbling random baby words.

"Harry, Harry," Sirius interrupted. "Can you say Padfoot?"

"Abuh-uh-buhbuh-"

"Padfoot?"

"Pah-puh-pahhpupu-"

"Pad. Foot."

"PADPUT!"

Sirius looked delighted. "He did it!" he laughed. Harry started laughing too before falling wobbily to the ground and waving his arms around.

"Padput, padput, padput!" he shrieked, again and again.

"Yes!!" Sirius picked Harry up. "Good Harry, good boy!"

Harry gave him a big, gummy smile before grabbing Sirius' nose.