Chapter 66

"Why has it got to be so early?" Sirius frowned as they climbed out of the car, though he wasn't actually angry.

Remus peered around the street, looking for something. "Lily and James could only drop Harry off at at their parents' before nine because they had to go to the doctor," he said distractedly, before a broad smile flashed across his face. He quickly waved.

Sirius followed his line of vision and saw a short ginger girl walking across the street.

"Hi, Lily," Remus hugged her briefly before smiling at Sirius.

"Happy birthday, old man!" Lily cheered, hugging Sirius.

"Where's James?" Sirius asked, looking around.

"Needed to take a shit before the breakfast, apparently. He's there waiting for us," Lily clapped her hands together, full of energy, practically beaming up at Sirius.

The pale boy shook his head. "I've been telling him it's the dairy. It's not good for him!"

"Okay, let's go," Remus said, turning his phone off and putting it in his pocket. He grinned at Lily before taking Sirius' hand.

Sirius scanned each shop as the walked past, looking for the restaurant. "What are y'all gonna order?"

Walking twice as fast as the two tall boys, Lily shrugged. "Dunno."

"I'm thinking about that avocado toast," Sirius said honestly, feeling his stomach grumble. Why did Remus have to make them skip breakfast to get here, ugh. "Maybe a coffee, too." he looked to his side. "What about you, babe?"

Mouth twitching, Remus tried to clear his throat. "No, er, I'm not sure. I'll see when we get the menu."

Everyone walked in silence, but Sirius was squinting. "What's wrong?"

"Hm?" Remus said lightly.

Lily turned around slightly, making eye contact with Remus.

Their pace hadn't slowed down. "Why are you guys being weird?" Sirius asked suspiciously. "It's not like the restaurant is gonna close on us. We have time. And why do you keep checking your phone?"

Remus quickly turned his phone off. "What? I'm... I'm not on my phone." he smiled guiltily. "I promise it's not-" with a withering glare from Lily, he shut his mouth and just smiled. "Love you?" he said innocently.

"Alright, I love you too," Sirius shrugged. He just wanted to hurry up and get to this damn restaurant so that he could eat. Once he started thinking about the avocado toast, his mind travelled to bacon and eggs and then sour cream then-

"Here we go," Lily said, pointing to a red door.

Sirius looked at the sign above the door. "Book a Breakfast? Never heard of it."

Lily shrugged. "Do you remember Diggory from school? A few grades above us? This is one of the businesses he bought and I thought it looked cute."

Sirius tried to look through the windows but they were too tinted. "Fair. Hopefully they serve bacon."

"You ready to go in?" Remus asked Lily as Sirius rubbed his hands together.

"Yup. After you, Sirius." Lily said, grinning.

Sirius, feeling very suspicious, looked between Lily and Remus' equally guilty faces before taking a big sigh and pushing open the door.

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY!"

What felt like swarms of people jumped up from behind chairs, tables, counters, from behind curtains, seemingly everywhere!

Sirius, who had the fright of his life, put his hand on his chest as he stumbled back a little bit into Remus' chest.

Everyone laughed - from what Sirius could see, there was Alice and Frank, James, Peter, Kingsley, and everyone else became a blur of smiling faces with balloons in their arms.

"So this is why you guys were being so damn suspicious," Sirius muttered, trying to look like he hadn't just jumped out of his skeleton. He quickly raked his hair back and readjusted his jacket.

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY, SIRIUS!" James practically screamed, rushing forward and crushing his best friend in a strong hug.

Sirius hugged him back, grinning into James' shoulder. "Shit, Prongs, how long did all this take?" he wondered aloud, looking around at all the decorations. "And how did you get so many people? I don't even have this many friends, I- who actually are most of these people?"

James grinned, pushing his glasses back up his nose, his hair wild as ever. "I needed this surprise to be a fantastic surprise, and I can't do that with like six people." he pointed a thumb over his shoulder. "I just told them there'd be free food, honestly. The people came flooding in after that."

"As they should," Remus smiled, sidling up to Sirius so that they could intertwine hands. He leant down so that he could rest his chin on Sirius' shoulder.

"You sly bastard," Sirius chuckled.

"Come grab some snacks!" Lily waved from where she was standing next to Alice.

Rubbing his hands together, Sirius marched over. "What've we got? I'm starving!"

"You don't get anything until you get your birthday hug!" Alice beamed, laughing when Sirius wrapped his arms around her and almost lifted her off the ground. "Now, we've got some little nibblies, like-"

"Wait," Remus interrupted causing Sirius to let out a groan.

"You're killing me, Moony. Can't the birthday boy fill his birthday stomach?"

"Yes, yes, sorry," Remus rushed. "But I'm just wondering when..." he made meaningful eye contact with Lily. "The gift?" he said as James came over.

James gasped and his face lit up with a smile. "Yes! Can we do the gift first, Lily, love of my life? Please?"

Everybody was looking at Lily, Sirius with a considerable amount of concern.

"What do you mean, present?" he demanded.

Remus almost- it sounded like he giggled.

James just straight up cackled. "It's your birthday, Pads. You're gonna get presents!" He put an arm around Sirius. "You didn't think I'd let my boy go without any gifts, did you? I'm hurt."

Though he was set on having at least one snack, all chances of him staying there went out the window when he glanced once at Remus' puppy eyes. "Alright, alright-" he began, but his eyes were covered, his hand was grabbed and his back was pushed towards the back exit.

The door opened and an excited hush fell over the crowd.

Sirius tried not to let out a nervous laugh. "Should I be concerned? What's the big deal with this pr..."

James' hands lowered, and Sirius' vision was no longer blocked.

As everyone stared with baited breath, waiting for a reaction, Sirius froze.

His eyes were comcically wide and his mouth looked like he was in the middle of a gasp and a curse. "No fucking way..."