Chapter 12

"Rise and shine," Remus smiled innocently, batting his eyelashes.

Sirius, still not awake, slammed the car door behind him as he slumped into the passenger seat. He keeled forwards, his head coming to an abrupt rest on the dashboard. A long, monotonous groan made its way out of his mouth. "It's too earlyyyyyy...."

Remus glanced at the dashboard clock. "It's a quarter to ten,"

"Your point?"

Remus barked out a laugh. "Not a morning person, I see,"

"Yeah, no shit," Leaning back, Sirius rubbed his eyes, blinking rapidly as Remus pulled out of Sirius' driveway. "Okay," he said with finality, sitting up straight, running a hand through his hair. "I'm up,"

"Just like that?" Remus glanced to the side, an eyebrow raised.

Sirius winked. "Just like that,"

Shaking his head, Remus chuckled.

"Can you see a parking spot?" Remus squinted, circling the park block.

"There," Sirius pointed, and Remus pulled the car up.

"God, how long has it been since I've seen everyone?" Remus wondered aloud, shoving his keys into his jean pocket. "Haven't seen the Longbottoms since their wedding, haven't seen Hagrid since he left-"

"Since he was framed and consequently fired, you mean," Sirius snarled. "That bloody rotten Malfoy, I swear-"

"Does he even work here anymore?" Remus asked as they walked down the path, shielding the sun from his face. "He barely ever has any shifts,"

"It's not like he needs the money. You never hear the end of his 'endless riches,'"

"Well, I guess we'll find out," Remus shrugged as they passed the low fence into the picnic table area. It wasn't hard to find where they were meant to be going; all they needed to do was look for the large group of adults who all look like they're going somewhere different.

"Look who made it!" A short woman with a round face and short hair spread open her arms, smiling broadly. "My boys!" She hugged them both at the same time.

"Alice!!" Sirius beamed.

"Alice, good to see you too," Remus half-laughed, having to bend his knees awkwardly so that the bubbly woman could reach an arm around him.

"Everybody, Sirius and Remus are here!" she called over her shoulder.

"Well hello, my friends!" Sirius smiled, walking up to the table. "Missed me?"

"Hardly," a man with a hooked nose and pale, sallow skin sneered. His black, greasy hair hung over his face as he hunched over the table.

"Still alive, then, Snivellus?" Sirius said cheerfully, his grey eyes glinting. "Haven't drowned in your own hair grease?"

"Alright," Remus put a hand on Sirius' shoulder. He nodded to the man. "Severus, how are you?"

Snape made a 'tch' noise before sinking back into his own sulking misery.

Only slightly bothered, Remus smiled at a rather nervous looking man. "Frank, how have you been?"

"Well, thank you," Frank nodded, smiling down at the table. "And you?"

"Not too bad, thank you,"

"Boys," a tight voice said from behind them.