Chapter 30

"Come in, come in," James said quietly. He looked tired but nonetheless, he was beaming.

And as Sirius followed him into the hospital room, the full realisation hit him. This was a full on child. Lily just gave birth to a child. Lily, James' wife. Only two years out of high school and here they were in the hospital, about to meet their newborn child.

Sirius found Remus' hand and squeezed it.

"Are you ready?" James grinned.

Sirius stared at the hospital bed, at the tiny, tiny bundled up figure in Lily's arms. "Yes,"

Sitting down on the edge of the bed, James stroked the top of the blankets. Then, with more gentleness than Sirius had ever seen from him, picked them up.

A tiny, pink face with eyes squeezed shut.

"Meet Harry," Lily said from where she was laid down against the pillow, looking extremely tired.

"Harry," Sirius grinned, looking at the small child swaddled in blankets.

"So he's a boy, then?" Remus asked, smiling softly at the newborn.

"Sure is," James looked down at the baby in his arms, looking as though he was ready to melt. "He's so... beautiful," he sat down next to Lily, resting Harry on her chest.

Sirius hadn't let go of Remus' hand. "That's... this is really happening," he whispered.

Nodding, Remus gently traced his thumb over Sirius' palm. "Are you scared?"

"Of a baby?" Sirius raised his eyebrows. "Of course not. Of-of dropping the baby? Of accidentally swearing in front of him? Of not being a good uncle?" he took in a deep breath. "Yes. Yes, I'm scared,"

"You have no reason to be," Remus said, squeezing his hand.

"Now," James grinned. "Can the amazing godfather please step forward to hold his godson?"

Both Sirius and Remus blinked, looking at each other.

"Er, what?" Remus said uncertainly.

James' face froze.

From where she was lying down, Lily squinted. "James..."

Blinking rapidly, James shakily pushed his glasses up his nose. "Erm, yes, my beloved wife who loves me dearly and wouldn't want to punish me in any way for supposedly forgetting something extremely important?"

Lily pursed her lips. "James... did you forget to tell him?"

James jumped off the bed and put his hands on the confused Sirius' shoulders. "Sirius, we want to make you the godfather,"

"Me?" Sirius said, shocked, his jaw dropping.

"You forgot to tell him?!" Lily looked like she was about to jump out of her bed to strangle James.

James made a pointed effort not to look at her, busying himself with staring into Sirius' eyes. "You're my best friend, of course you're the godfather!"

"I- w-well, what does that mean?" Sirius stuttered, bewildered.

"Well," James furrowed his eyebrow slightly. "If something were to ever happen to Lily and I - in the worst case scenario - Harry would go into your care," he smiled. "And we figured that you and Remus were a package deal, so we know he would stop you from accidentally killing Harry," he finished with a wink.

"I..." Sirius sniffed, grudgingly wiping at his face. "I'd be honoured to be Harry's godfather."

"Aw, don't cry!" James hugged Sirius tightly before sniffing as well. "You're gonna make me cry..."

"God, you guys," Lily said, shaking her head. "Sirius, do you wanna hold the kid or not?"

"Yes," Sirius sat down on the bed, rubbing his sweaty hands against his thighs nervously. "What if I drop him? God, he'll be walking around with a scar his whole life! People will be like 'hey, Harry, how did you get that scar' and he'll have to answer 'MY FUCKING UNCLE DROPPED ME!' LILY I JUST SECURED YOUR CHILD AS A BULLIED LONER!"

"On second thought-"

"No, give me the child,"