Chapter 10

Poking a head around the staircase, Remus swore and turned back to Sirius. "Alright. Dad's still fairly drunk and if my nose is correct he is also high, so we should be able to sneak around him. If that fails, I'll distract while you run, got it? Sirius?" Remus tapped Sirius' shoulder, but he just smiled.

"I love it when you boss me around,"

"I love it when you do what I say. Let's go," Remus was about to move, but, guilt overpowering him, he quickly kissed Sirius on the head. "Vamos,"

"I can speak Spanish too, you know," Sirius whispered as they subtly walked behind the couch. "Uno. Tortilla. Hola,"

"You don't pronounce the 'h' in 'hola', precious boy," Remus replied, chewing his lip as he watched his father scratch his back.

"Alright then, Lupin. Hola, senorita. How was your taco?"

"First of all: racist. Second of all, saying it in a frankly terribly Spanish accent doesn't make it any-" Suddenly, Remus' voice dropped. "Where's Dad?"

"Remuz?"

"H-hola," Sirius spluttered uncertainly.

Remus and Sirius spun around to come face to face with a glassy-eyed man, all the veins in his nose burst. He stared at the two young boys as if trying to figure out if they were real or not.

Sirius looked down at his hand to see that Remus had grabbed it and put himself the tiniest bit in front of Sirius. Though it was a small movement, Sirius noticed it. He made a note to bring it up later.

"Uh, Dad," Remus stalled. "You're back?"

"Who's that?" the older man squinted.

Remus quickly dropped his hand. "Um- this-this is my friend... Sirius. Sirius, this is my father, Lyall Lupin,"

Trying not to feel hurt that Remus had let go of his hand, Sirius put on a smile. "Greetings, sir. Your son was a real pleasure,"

Wiping his nose, Lyall said, "How long... has he been here for?"

"How-how long have you been here for, Dad?" Remus said, face red. "I thought you were away for the weekend,"

Lyall shook his head but then clamped his eyes shut as if the movement caused him pain. "Last, um, last night. Kinda late. Didn't go. Thom's wife didn't let 'im. Good for nothing..." he tottered over to the kitchen.

"Last night... here... him..." Remus whispered under his breath, turning redder and redder as it sunk in.

Sirius covered his mouth with his hand, trying not to laugh, but he couldn't stop a giggle finding its way out.

"How are you laughing?" Remus hissed after checking his Dad was out of earshot.

"It is kinda funny,"

"Nothing about this is funny!"

"What did you do?" Lyall all-but demanded, pouring himself a glass of water into a dusty cup.

"Video games," Remus rushed before Sirius could say anything. "Yeah. We played Mario Kart,"

Sirius nodded seriously. "Yeah, he really sucks."

A glare met a smirk.

Lyall squinted for a few seconds, but then he shrugged and lifted his glass to his mouth. "So that's what all those noises were,"

A hand clamped firmly around his mouth, Sirius turned around so that Lyall couldn't see the gleeful tears threatening to escape his eyes.

"Just really... intense... Mario Karting..." Remus rubbed his burning face.