Chapter 14

"All ready?" Remus asked, unlocking the car doors from the inside.

Sirius swung himself inside, closing the door behind him. "Yup. Here's the address,"

Remus squinted at the floral piece of paper that was handed to him. "Alright. I think I know where that is," he started the car and pulled out of the driveway, tapping the steering wheel.

Sirius cocked his head curiously. "Are you nervous?"

"I'm so bloody nervous, Black," Remus blurted, his knuckles white as he gripped the wheel. "This is your family. Your very proper, very mean and very rich family. No offence."

"Why would I take offence to that?" Sirius said dryly. But he reached across and put a hand on Remus' forearm. "But, Remus, relax. If things go wrong, it probably won't be your fault."

"That's reassuring," Remus choked.

Sirius shrugged, still touching Remus' arm. "Hey, there is so much Black family drama that it's most likely that no one will even know you're here."

"...Thanks,"

"Don't mention it! Besides," Sirius said happily. "They wish I were dead, I wish I wasn't part of the family. It's a mutual hate relationship!"

Remus made a face. "You sound way too cheerful about that,"

"Please, what's the worst that could happen?" Sirius tucked his legs up underneath him in the chair, his pale skin peeping through the rips in his jeans that his family firmly discouraged.

"You could get disowned," Remus said quietly.

Sirius had thought about this plenty times before. He knew it was coming eventually. "So? I'm miserable there, anyway. I'd already have moved out if it weren't for the fact that houses are fucking expensive,"

Remus pursed his lips. "You have a roof over your head, Sirius. They feed you,"

"Sometimes," Sirius cut in. "Multiple times they've made me pay them before getting fed,"

Nodding, Remus didn't take his eyes off the road. "Does your family know about... us?"

Sirius could feel Remus' nervous energy radiating off him. "I haven't tried to hide it. They'll be able to guess, though. The whole point of having a plus one is to bring along a date and give everyone more shit to gossip about,"

"Great," Remus moistened his suddenly dry lips. "Can't wait,"

"Jesus, this isn't the place, is it?" Remus said almost to himself, looking at the dark mansion looming before the car. "Not the one with that huge iron fence?"

Sirius grimaced. "I'm not the only extra one in my family. We're all dramatic,"

Remus spluttered, eyes popping out of his head. "Is that a black swan!? Sirius?!"

-----

Remus ogled as they walked through the courtyard-

"A bloody courtyard, Sirius!"

-and followed Sirius to the front steps. The big, black door was wide open, allowing them to come straight through.

"I feel like I should have dressed fancier," Remus fretted, pulling at his short-sleeved button-up. "Was it wrong to wear blue? Should I have worn white? Maybe a tuxedo?"

Sirius laughed. "You look amazing; you have nothing to worry about."

Remus looked at Sirius' outfit: black ripped jeans, his black leather jacket which was zipped up. As he shook back his hair, Remus found himself biting his lip.