Chapter 45

"You're quite a bully, aren't you?"

"Bunly!"

Shaking his head, Remus gently pushed Harry's hand away. "Oh, I should probably do that measuring thing," he said, narrating his actions out of habit. When one spends a lot of time with children, that becomes normal. "Look up here, Harry,"

Remus had a hard time making Harry stay still. The mark on his forehead had increased by half a fingernail since the last time they measured, and tinier white pathways had begun spreading out along the sides. "You know," Remus mused, curiously tilting his head. "It almost looks like a lightning bolt, Harry,"

"A lababa," Harry nodded.

"Yes," Remus shook his head, smiling. "A lababa. Let me just quickly send a picture to your parents," 

He got a reply almost immediately.

JP: Does it hurt Harry if you touch it?

EP: Doctor said it shouldn't, but keep an eye on it

JP: how much has it grown?

RJL: Don't you think it looks like a lightning bolt?

EP: ...

JP: omg wait it totally does

EP: ...

JP: Lily our child has a sick as backstory

EP: ...

Remus set down the phone. "And your parents have been informed,"

Harry looked up. "Mumma?"

Oh shit.

"Dadda? Where Mumma Dadda?" Harry began writhing around in his chair. "I wa Mumma Dadda! Mummaaaaaaa-"

Remus quickly got up from his seat and picked Harry up. "Hey, hey, Mumma and Dadda are coming back in a couple of days now. Don't you want to spend time with Padfoot and, uh, and Wemy?"

Sniffling, Harry rested his head against Remus' chest. "Padput... Wemy..."

Gently stroking a finger down Harry's tiny back, Remus nodded He modulated his voice so that it was quiet and tender. "Yes, Padput and Wemy. Are you a little tired, buddy? Is it time for your nap?"

The child responded by snuggling closer into Remus' chest.

Walking as softly as he could, Remus opened the door to the small study that they had turned into a temporary bedroom for Harry. He got Harry into his thin sleeping suit and just as he zipped it up Harry started crying.

"Ah, cr...onch," Remus subtly avoided swearing. "Harry, don't do this to me,"

But, alas, Harry continued to do it.

Which is why a few minutes later Remus lowered Harry into his portable cot, hating himself, as the child continued to cry and scream.

"Please sleep," Remus winced, his ears ringing, as he tiptoed out of the room. "I'll see you in a few hours, Harry. I'll be right outside," he closed the door, twisting the knob so that it wouldn't make a loud noise. Walking away, he sighed and rubbed his face. "How James and Lily do that everyday... god, save their souls," he sunk into the couch, just lying there. After a couple of minutes, he got up with a groan only to pull chocolate from the fridge and grab his book, once again sinking back into the couch.