9

Authors' Note: Hi, everyone! We just wanted to say a quick thanks for all the amazing reviews we have gotten for this story. You all have no idea how happy we are to see your reactions to the chapters we post. Hopefully, everyone will continue to enjoy this story, so without further ado, enjoy!

Chapter Nine

"Brett, baby please wake up? Just wake up, please. I'm so sorry you were upset; I didn't want that. I told Gabby that I wanted to be you and our babies, not her. I don't want to be with her, Brett. I want to be with you. I love you. Please, wake up. Just wake up and let me see those beautiful eyes of yours. Please." Pleaded Casey as he sat by Brett's bed at Chicago Med holding her hand waiting for her to wake up.

Everyone was extremely worried about Brett, she had been asleep for two days now. All the doctors said nothing was wrong with her or the babies, she just worked herself up so much from stress and worry that she put herself in a self-induced 'sleep coma'. The doctors claimed it was actually good for her body as it helped her get the rest she needs, but Casey was beside himself with worry.

He just wanted her to wake up, look at him with those beautiful big, round eyes, and kiss him. That's all he wanted. He just wanted her to wake up.

'Please God, let her wake up. Please.' Prayed Casey one last time before he felt his body finally betray him and wander off into the unwelcome land of sleep. Casey hated the idea of sleep for the past two days, as it would take him away from her. But this time he was in no condition to put up a fight; his body was beaten down, hurt, and exhausted.

Casey drifted off into one of the worst sleeps of his life. He just kept replaying the last two days over and over again. There was no escaping. Only this time he was right back at the apartment complex, where this all began.

"Chief, I think me, my team, and squad should go into the remaining floors and clear anyone left while Herman and his guys get the hoses set up." Called Casey as he and Boden met right in the middle of the scene to come up with a plan of attack.

Boden nodded his head in agreeance to Casey's plan, "That's fine, Casey. Just be careful, it looks like it could collapse at any second."

Casey nodded his head before gearing up and telling everyone else of the plan. The whole building was already up in flames, so at this point, it was a rescue mission for more than half of the apartment residents who were still unaccounted for.

"Let's go!" Yelled Casey as he got in front of everyone and prepared to lead them into the only clear entrance. Casey quickly spared a glance at Brett and was happily surprised to find her already looking at him. 'At least she's looking at me now.' Thought Casey as he started to lead everyone into the already more than half engulfed building.

"Hey, Casey we're moving the last two people out now." Called Stella Kidd over her radio.

"Okay, Kidd. Severide and I are making our way out now. Have Herman go ahead and get into position."

"Got it, Captain."