18

Author's Note: As always we just want to say thank you for all the amazing support we receive on this story!

Chapter Eighteen

Dr. James looked at both of them and sighed, "Well to tell you the truth..."

"What is it?" Asked a scared Brett as she held Casey's hand in a death grip.

"Mrs. Casey, your blood pressure when you came in was extremely high, and I've read in your past medical history that states you were hospitalized for stress and high blood pressure a few weeks ago."

Casey looked at the doctor and asked, "What does that mean for the babies?"

"It can involve lots of different complications for both mom and the babies. Ms. Casey, I would actually like to put you on bed rest until the babies are born."

Brett looked over at the doctor with wide eyes, "But my other doctor said that I could be put on desk duty until the babies were born."

"I understand that Ms. Casey, but your blood pressure and stress levels are way too high to even entertain the possibility of you doing anything but spending the majority of the last month of your pregnancy in bed."

Casey looked over at his wife and eternally grimaced at how upset she looked, "Babe, I think he right. I'd much rather the four of you be safe and healthy."

Brett looked at both of the men in the room and nodded, "Okay, I do it."

"Good," Smiled Dr. James, "Now, we need to discuss one more thing. I know you put in your birthing plan that you submitted to your previous doctor that you would like to deliver your babies as naturally as possible, but in my opinion, the safest way for both you and the babies would be to have a cesarean delivery."

"You want me to have a c-section?" Asked Brett as she felt Casey grab her hand again.

"Yes, Ms. Casey, as I said I think that would be the safest and healthiest way for both you and your children."

Brett thought about it for a second before she looked at her husband and spotted the worry in his face at losing any one of them, "Okay, if you say it's safer for the babies then, of course, I'll do it."

Dr. James smiled before he rose from his chair, "Excellent, you two are free to go, but I would like to see you in here every week until your scheduled delivery date."

Brett and Casey both nodded before the doctor said his goodbyes and sent Natalie back in so she could go through with Brett's discharge.

"See I told you everything would be okay." Whispered Casey as he helped Brett slide out of the hospital bed.

Brett smiled as she felt her husband wrap his strong arms around her and their unborn children, "You were right as always."

Severide and Stella arrived not too long after that with burgers, fries, and a quick trip home that both Brett and Casey were dying for.

Later that night when Brett and Casey were lying in their new bed, Brett turned to Casey and whispered, "Babe, when I have the babies if you have to decide to save the babies or me...I want you to save the babies."

This caused Casey to throw his eyes open and immediately sit up in bed, "Sylvie, don't say that. That's not going to happen and I'm not going to do that."

"Matt,"

"No, Sylvie I don't want to hear you say that again. I'm not doing that and we're not going to discuss it any further."

Brett didn't say anything she just watched as her husband got back in bed and she wrapped her arm around him and drifted off to sleep hoping and praying that neither of them would ever have to make a decision like that.

The next day everyone had a shift. Well, everyone except for Brett who practically cried at watching Casey wake up early and leave her to go to the firehouse; the place she wanted to be at more than anything right now.

Brett laid in bed and threw her head back with a dramatic sigh. She was so bored she didn't know what to do. So finally, after laying in bed for another hour she got up and decided to wander around the house. House? She still couldn't get over Casey's surprise of having the house done and ready for them to move into.

Brett walked down the hall and to the triplet's nursery that Kidd and Foster had completed while they were gone. It looked amazing. The theme, of course, was a firefighter theme. So everything was red with little dalmatians everywhere. Brett and Casey were completely shocked when they came home from the hospital last night and walked in there.

The shift seemed to drag on for all of Fifty-One and Brett. She practically threw herself in Casey's arms when he walked in the door.

"It's so lonely here without you." Cried Brett as she leaned up on her tippy toes and kissed Casey.

Casey laughed and put his hands on Brett's stomach, "Trust me, we all missed you. I think Foster's going to kill your replacement before you come back."

"Ohh, tell me all about it. I feel like I did absolutely nothing the whole twenty-four hours."

"Sylvie, that's what you're supposed to be doing. Remember Dr. James said he didn't want you doing anything that would raise your blood pressure."

Brett shook her head and smiled at her over-protective husband, "I know, I know. I promise I didn't do anything I wasn't supposed to."

"Right," Whispered Casey as he sat on their couch and gently pulled Brett down so she was sitting on his lap. "How are my babies?"

Brett smiled as she grabbed Casey's strong hand and placed it on her stomach, "They are kicking like crazy no that their daddy's home."

"You know, we need to start coming up with some names now that we've started the countdown until they're here."

Brett nodded and laid her head on her husband's shoulder as he continued to run her belly, "I can't believe we get to meet our babies in a few weeks."

"Hey, that reminds me Kidd and Foster said that you need to be ready tomorrow morning at eleven. Apparently, they are coming to pick you up, and I am spending the day with the guys at Kelly's loft."

"Really?" Asked Brett as she lifted her head off of Casey's shoulder.

Casey nodded, "Yep, and don't ask what they have planned because I have no clue. Kelly wouldn't even tell me if we were watching the game tomorrow."

Brett laughed as she felt her husband wrap his arms around her.

"I'm so thankful for you, Sylvie. You have completely changed my life."

"I love you, Matt."

"I love you too."

Thanks for reading! Please let us know what you thought we are dying to know, lol! - PurpleNewYorkCity/MSlugAntZ and one-chicago-obsessed