23 ~ Surprise!

Michael never let go of my hand as we sat in the waiting area of the hospital, my hand was shaking under his as he tried to soothe my nerves by grazing his thumb over the top of it. The bright lights made my eyes blur slightly as they scanned over hundreds of posters about the problems that can occur during pregnancy, that were littered all around us. Michael seemed to notice as he brought his hand to my chin and drew my face to his, forcing my eyes away.

"Baby don't read them I promise you're going to be okay." He whispered, his eyes honest as he brushed my slighly tangled hair from my face before allowing me to rest my head on his shoulder. Honestly, I didn't have the energy to argue with him as today had completly drained me, Michael the only reason I'm still sane.

"Michael I'm so sorry about what happened." I murmered, as I felt his head turn down to mine for a second before he brought his arm around my shoulder, pulling me closer to his body.

"Baby please don't worry, it actually went better than I thought it would...and your father seemed to be very understanding." His words once again washing away my worries, allowing me to release my tensed shouders.

"I guess and yes he's always been understanding." I admitted thinking back to the times when my parents used to be together and he would always try to reason with my mum on many of the things she didn't agree with. But through it all I always knew he loved me and always wanted the best for me, which makes me feel even closer to Michael to know he approves of him.

"Daddy when I'm older I'm going to have 100 children." I exclaimed as he was trying to read me a bedtime story, his warm smile making me clap my hands together in excitement.

"Well you would be the best mummy Alissa!" He replied, entertaining my wishes as he started to count upto 100 hundred making me giggle. "Can you even count up to 100?" He narrowed his eyes at me making me laugh hysterically.

"Yes daddy I can! See..." I shot up from laying down and brought my fingers in front of his face. "1,2,3,4..."

"Alissa Brown?" A small blonde women called from a room in the corner immedietly snapping me from my thoughts as I turned to Michael who was already standing up. I followed closly behind him, his hand still attatched to mine, as the women's eyes rested on us and smiled kindly. "Come with me." She continued to smile as she led us both into the room, that was dimly lit with a small bed in the middle and a small computer screen placed beside it.

My body shivered slightly as my nerves rose again while the women walked around and sat on a chair infront of the computer. "Alissa you can come in." She giggled slightly as she wacthed me nervously lingering by the door, her kindheartness allowing me to relax. I turned to Michael who was already in the room staring at the computer screen intently seeming to be intregued by the equipment making me laugh.

He turned to me and smiled wide. "Come on baby you need to lay down." He gestured to the bed, taking my hand to carefully lay me down, his hand still gripped tightly onto mine as he stood beside me chewing his lip.

"My name's Julia and I'm just going to be checking your baby's heartbeat and that everything is okay." She smiled down at me and then to Michael as we both eagerly nodded our heads at her. "Right I need you to lift your jumper up and  I'm going to apply some gel to allow me to access the heartbeat better."

I nodded my head again and obliged, removing my hand from Michaels for a second to lift my jumper up. I placed my hand back in his and watched as his eyes travelled down and widened at my slightly swollen stomach making me blush. He seemed to notice as he brought his eyes back up to mine and smiled softly, running his other hand over my hair.

"This may feel a litte cold but it will only last for a second." She assrued squeezing the gel onto my lower abdomen making me wince. Shit it really was cold. She then proceeded to pick up a small remote device that was attached to the computer and started to smeer the gel over my stomach, the coldness numbing it slightly.

Michael's hand ran through my hair as we both stared at the screen intently trying to make out what all the black and white lines meant. Julia frowned for a second as she brought the remote further around my stomach looking back and forth to the screen, making my heart stop.

"What is it?" Michael asked with concern as he also noticed her reaction, but her smile instantly telling us both to calm down.

"What gender do you think you're having?" She asked turning to both of us casuing me to look upto Michael as he stared down at me, both waiting for eachother's answers.

"Boy." I said the exact same time Michael said "Girl." making the three of us laugh as she turned back to the screen again and narrowed her eyes in further. How she's making out anything from the black and white smudges I have no idea.

She continued to laugh softly as she spoke, "Well you're both right."

"What do you mean?" I asked confused as she smiled between me and Michael, who was also frowning over to her and the screen.

"Surprise! You're having twins!"