43 ~ Calm Before The Storm

"Alissa, I know you said you weren't hungry but I'm not leaving you if you haven't eaten, so I've made you some pancakes okay baby?" Michael called from the kitchen, my hands resting on the two cribs that sat infront if me, rocking them gently.

"I said I didn't want anything Michael." I groaned rather harshly, his footsteps getting closer until I felt the sofa sink next to me and a hand resting on my thigh.

"You need to eat Alissa, you can't look after these two on an empty stomach." He sighed, running his hand over my knee. I knew he was right and I knew I sounded like a bitch but it was his first day back at work today and truth be told, I still couldn't handle the fact he was going to leave me by myself.

"I know I'm sorry, you need to go Michael...you don't want to be late."

"I know baby." He whispered almost too quickly, his eyes resting lightly on the twins. "But Janet should be here any minute and she's more than excited to help."

I smiled as best as I could, his eyes catching mine before he rested his hand behind my neck so he could bring my head forward. His lips pressed against mine, his tongue swiping over my lower lip softly before he pulled away and kissed my forehead.

"Right I've got to go Alissa, I'll make sure to tell Sam and Maya you and the twins are doing fine, okay?" I heard him call from the corridor, his footsteps getting more distant as he went causing my heart to ache slightly. "Bye, I love you..."

I jumped as I heard the door slam shut, plunging the three of us into an eerie silence. I turned back to them and sighed, I honestly never knew motherhood would be so exhausting.

Just as Michael had predicted, a few minutes later I heard the jangling of keys in the door and a series of profanities coming from the other side making me laugh to myself.

"Ugh! Finally...that damn key I swear Michael gave me a broken one." Janet's distinct tone breaking the silence, a huge smile spreading across her pretty face as her gaze landed on Yana and Elijah.

"Alissa...look at them, they've already grown so much!" She cooed as she came to place herself in the same spot Michael sat moments ago, her hand rubbing reassuringly on my back as she made silly faces at the babies.

"I know, I can't believe it...I can't believe they're mine." I whispered, my voice almost breaking but I swallowed hard and tore my stare away from the twins.

"So Jan, how have things been with you?" I questioned, her smile widening immediately at my words.

She continued to talk for what felt like hours about the youthful and exciting things in her life such as new jobs and men...It felt good to just feel normal again, everything just seemed so surreal. I tried to clear my mind and focus on her voice, my eyes subconsciously checking on the twins every few minutes, but both of them remained in a deep sleep.

"But anyway..." Janet laughed trailing off from her sentence. "Enough about me Alissa, I want to know how you're doing! Michael told me about the birth...that must have been quite traumatic." She lowered her voice slightly, her eyes seeming to pierce through me even more.

"Yeah...it was horrible I-I thought I was..." Before I could even finish my sentence the tears began to fall from my eyes causing Janet to gasp and wrap her arms around my body. My shoulders shaking up and down as I sobbed, releasing the emotions I had been bottling up.

"Oh Alissa I'm so sorry I didn't mean to upset you." She spoke as she placed a small kiss on the top of my head, just like Michael had done.

"N-no it's fine it's just everything is so overwhelming...and with Michael gone I just don't know how I'm going to cope. I'm so used to him always being here." I admitted, trying my best to fight back the rest of my tears that had now dampened Janet's t-shirt.