35 ~ Baby Shower

"They're here Alissa!" Michael's voice echoed throughout our large home, causing me to groan slightly as I took a deep breath, looking myself  up and down in the bedroom mirror. My hand trailing down to my bump, rubbing small reassuring circles over it as I whispered sweet words to my babies, who appeared to still be sleepy due to the lack of movement this morning.

My thoughts were soon interupted by a harsh knock of the grand wooden door, my hands gripping the bedroom door before I made my way carefully down the slightly spiralled staircase. I was soon met with a very anxious looking Michael stood by the door fiddling with the doorknob clearly reluctant to open it, his eyes closed as he took a deep breathe.

I kissed him on the cheek and placed my hand o. His shoulder, trying to soothe his anxiousness. At my touch, he pulled open the large door, mum's voice immediately heard echoing through the house. My hands clenching for a second before I stepped even closer to Michael as I watched them fumble in the doorway.

"Where's Alis..."

Her words trailed off as she looked over to me her eyes trained on my stomach for a second as my hand rested underneath, making me feel slightly self conscious. She continued to stare until dad came around from behind her, a large smile plastered across his face allowing me to relax.

"How's my baby!" He exclaimed holding his arms out so I could wiggle into them, his familiar homely scent calming my body as he rubbed my back.

When I pulled away I was met with Michael and my mum staring at each other blankly, the awkward silence making me cringe as my heart dropped slightly.

"Michael good to see you..." Dad greeted him placing a hand out for Michael to shake, a small yet genuine smile adorning my dad's face reassuring me.

"You t-too Mr. Brown, I'm glad you could make it." Michael's reply slightly stuttered as he reached out to meet my fathers hand, causing my heart to sink at his nervousness. Snaking my arm around his small waist, I gave him a light encouraging squeeze, his head turning to me as a small smile appeared on his face, I couldn't resist but reach up and plant a warm peck on his soft lips.

"Well this is all very cosy but can we come in properly." Mum rudely interupted, her voice harsh and bitter cutting through the air like a knife. She began to make her way further into the living area, her head stuck upwards as she examined the room, nodding slightly before turning back to face us three.

"Well at least we know he'll be able to afford to send you childcare after he's left you." She stared blankly shoving her coat off and chucking it over the coat rack. Patting down her overly revealing dress that cut way too low and stopped just above he knee, as it clung tight to her body making me cringe.

"What did you say?!" Anger raging inside of me as I pulled away from Michael and stepped towards my mother, only to feel two strong hands resting on my hips and pulling me backwards so my back hit against their front.

"Don't baby it's not worth it." Michael whispered into my ear, releasing me as I practically shook with anger and took my hand in his, his eyes filled with concern until he turned back to mum where he gave her a death glare.

"What do you mean I'm not worth it!" She scolded, crossing her arms over her chest before coming closer to Michael. I quickly stepped between them trying to push Michael behind me as she got even closer.