1.3 - Saturday - Encounter

Lucy's POV

'Oh my god!! It's a Chrismas Miracle!! Lucy is outside of her house!!' Danny and Ro cheered.

'Oh come on! I'm not that bad! Christmas isn't for another week! Besides, we went out to see that movie not that long ago!!'

'Sweetie that was more than a month ago!' Jamie says hugging me and kissing my cheek.

'What? Really? Damn time flies!'

I move to hug Danny, leaving Ro till the end. But as he wraps his arms around me and I feel myself cheerfully surrender to his warmth, taking a deep breath.

'You changed your perfume! I don't like it!' I say bluntly.

'What's wrong with my perfume!' Ro whines.

'I like the other one better!'

'You say that every time! You'll get used to it as usual and then you'll be like did you change your perfume? It's better. And then I'll be like no it's the same one you said it sucks just a few weeks ago. We go through this every time I get a new one!'

'Well then stop changing it then!' I complain

'I'll stop when I'll find one that suits me perfectly.'

'If that goes like your quest for a girlfriend, good luck to us!' Danny jokes.

'Excuse me! Is my miserable love life bothering you?'

'No, not at all! It's actually quite amusing!' Danny replies.

I laugh at the two men's banter and then turn my focus at Jamie.

'See! Told you you'll feel better!'

'Jamie, please. Don't need the I told you so. I'm here, we're hanging out. Let's leave it at that.'

'I just don't get what's gotten into you lately! You seemed to be doing much better ever since we got a little gang. I get that you go through some days where you feel down. But it feels like this is different. Talk to me. What's wrong?'

'I'm gonna get myself a drink.'

'Lucy!' Jamie sighs.

'I don't want to talk about it.'

'Okay... You know I'm here for you.'

'I know. Thank you. Love ya!'

'Love ya too!' She hugs me tightly.

'Guys, I'm going to the bar, need a refill?' I ask standing up.

'You've been here 5 minutes and you're already ditching us to go flirt with Cute Bartender?' Ro teases.

'Okay, first! I don't flirt. Second, you said there will be a drink waiting for me which I can't find. So excuse me while I go get it myself.' I sass, flipping my hair and strutting to the bar hearing their laughs fade out.

I find an empty barstool near the left side, so I sit on it and wait till I get the attention of the bartender who's shaking some cocktails. Eventually, he comes over to me and I order my usual. He smiles and winks at me before starting to prepare my drink. I lightly chuckle at his forwardness but quickly move my attention away. Another person catches my attention as I'm being handed my drink. The face of an angel but one that is burdened by pain. He's staring at his drink. I don't usually approach people. I never do this! Never. But today, when I woke up I didn't think I'd get out of the house. So I guess today is not the kind of day that follows expectations. I don't even know where I'm finding the courage. Maybe the sip of the long-awaited rum was given me a boost.