Chapter Ten: Stay - Up All Night

Niall's POV

It's late in the after afternoon, with her hand securely in mine, I guide her to the top of the hill. With some persuasion, I get her to lay down on the ground. Side by side, fingers interlaced while I hold her hand close to my chest, we enjoy the autumn breeze and watching the clouds floating above us.

'What happened here?' She asks me.

'What do you mean?' I ask looking at her.

'Whenever you bring me to a place, and you have that look in your eyes, the wandering look, thinking back at the last memory you have of this place. I know something happened here. What is it? Did you used to bring her here?'

'Who?'

'May...'

'Oh! No... Actually, the first and last time I was here was the night I met you. On the second anniversary of her death. I was feeling like shit. Deo and Conor wanted to help me feel better. So they brought me here and made me scream and shout. Apparently it makes you feel better. It gets all the anger and frustration out. And then I felt better, so we drove around and ended up in the pub where I met you. Damn that feels like ages ago now.'

'9 months approximately. We met around Christmas? We're in September now. Crazy how fast time goes.'

'Yeah...'

'So why bring me here?'

'I just thought of this place a few days ago. And it was filled with heavy and somewhat negative emotions. This beautiful place deserves a better memory than this. Then I heard this song. And it talked about turning a sunset into a sunrise. And I liked the idea! Thought we could try it.'

'What? You want to stay here all night? Awake? In here? All night?'

'Yupp! Just you and me and the stars.'

'I mean sounds charming but how do you suggest to pass the time? It's gonna be long! I mean we can't even watch a movie?'

'We'll make our own movies!' I suggest.

'Okay. You still haven't finished that story. Do it now.' She orders.

'What story?'

'You know, a few months ago! I asked you for a bedtime story and you never bothered to finish it?'

'I never bothered to finish it? I recall it's you who fell asleep before I could do that!'

'Okay fine! So finish it now! Pleaseee! I wanna know what happens to the princess.'

'I don't remember how the story goes!'

'I do!!' She cheers.

'Of course you do!' I laugh at her excitement.

'Okay so!!! The Princess was feeling lonely because she didn't have any friends. And then her parents were throwing a ball and she was excited because she gets to meet new people and sure they're most likely to be all snobby and acting all high and mighty when they're actually really shitty people but she was hoping there would be more people like her who she can be friends with.'

'Okay...'

'So what happens next?' She asks eagerly.

'She meets new people and makes new friends and fall in love with a prince and they get married and live happily ever after?'

'Booo!!!! Nooo!!!' She yells.

'What? That's not how these stories go?'

'No!! It's not that straightforward!! You have to introduce new characters! Plot twists! Obstacles and challenges everyone has to go through in order to get to the happy ending! And sometimes there isn't even a happy ending!'