Chapter 6 - Bummer

Your day started out bad, with you sleeping through your alarm and rushing to school, then things kept getting worse, and worse, and worse. By the end of the day you were exhausted, and barely said hi to your mom and dad before dragging yourself up the stairs and into your bedroom.

You took one look at your bed and finally felt a little better. You unceremoniously flopped face-first into the comforting mound of blankets and pillows, letting the soft, comforting warmth surround you.

You burrowed under the covers and pulled your phone out, hoping to chase your lousy day away with cat videos and music. You plugged your headphones in and cranked your favourite song, visualizing the words washing away the terrible day you just had. You didn't even want to look at all the science work you still had to do, so you close your eyes.

Three distinct knocks sent your eyes flying wide open. You scrambled out of bed and rushed to throw open the window.

"Mikey?" you asked as if he wasn't supposed to be here, "What time is it?"

"Uh, seven-thirty," he said, looking confused. "I always come at seven-thirty"

You nodded, still not quite realizing that you had slept the day away, and stepped out of Mikey's way as he climbed into your room.

"Is something wrong? You seem out of it"

"No, I'm-im fine," you said, mentally cursing yourself for tripping on your words.

"You sure you're okay, man?" Mikey asked again, placing a hand on your shoulder. "You can tell me if things aren't going great.

You hesitated for a minute before bawling your eyes out. You shook and heaved and your knees almost gave out. Your day hasn't even been that bad, why were you crying?!

What was more surprising that your sudden waterfall of tears was the fact that Mikey just let you cry, he let you sob, and when you were done, he offered you a tissue and a hug. And of course, you accepted both.

"So, what happened today? Tell the truth" Mikey urged, grabbing another tissue. There was a genuine concern in his voice, so you complied, ranting about all the small mildly inconvenient things that happened to you through the day and about how you were just so exhausted and couldn't take anymore.

"It hard," you said, tears threatening to spill from your eyes again. "It's hard to not let the small things get to me. Some days it's easier than others, but today was just really hard and I can't complain or rant about it because everyone always tells me not to sweat the small stuff"

"Buts it's so, so hard"

Mikey pulled you into another hug. "I get it!" he said in an effort to comfort you "some days the small things seem to pile up and look like one huge thing" he pulled away from the hug to make dramatic arm movements.

"Yeah," you said with a laugh, "having problems with your brain isn't easy, and a lot of people dismiss it as being overdramatic, or too childish, or whatever" you sighed, letting your shoulders slump down into an almost uncomfortable position.

"Hey, how about I give you my number, and you can message or call me whenever you're feeling down" Mikey offered, smiling a big goofy smile at you.

You nodded "yeah, I'd like that" you pulled your phone out from the mess of blankets on your bed and handed it to Mikey, letting him put his phone number.

"There!" he said triumphantly, handing your phone back to you. "Don't be afraid to message me whenever." he insisted.

You took your phone happily, and within a few seconds, you had sent Mikey a smiley face emoticon. "You too. If you ever need to talk"

With your phone in hand, you checked the time. "Oh jeez!" you exclaimed "it's almost midnight. You should go, your brothers are probably waiting for you."

"Probably... goodnight (Y/N)"

"Goodnight Mikey"