Chapter 10 - Illness

You woke up the next morning feeling surprisingly refreshed and well-rested. As you went throughout your day, both your family and peers at school made comments about how much happier you seemed.

Even you had to admit, this chipper attitude was out of character for you. 'I guess Mikey must be rubbing off on me' you thought as you arrived home from a surprisingly quick day at school.

Hunkering down to start on your newest project, your phone took you away, buzzing loudly, alerting you of the incoming call.

You rolled your chair over and answered the phone, not bothering to look at the contact before putting the phone on speaker and planting it on your desk.

"Hey," you said as you booted up some of your equipment.

"Hey, it's Leo,"

"Oh, what's up, Leo?" you questioned, not looking up from your work.

"Mikey's sick, can you come down here and keep him company while the rest of us are out?" Leo asked, a sincere concern lining his voice.

You agreed and packed a few things before telling your mom you were leaving.

You hauled ass to the lair, but not before stopping at a local grocery store to buy some instant chicken soup mix.

When you got to the lair, the guys had already left, leaving you to search for the obviously incapacitated Mikey.

"Mikey?" you called out, searching different locations in the lair. "Mikey?" you knocked on his bedroom door.

A muffled 'come in' signalled to you that, yes, Mikey had holed up in his room. You walked in calmly, greeting him with a soft tone to your voice.

"Leo told me you were sick, how's your appetite?" you asked, smiling kindly at your sickly best friend.

"Not great right now, which is super weird!" Mikey complained, pulling his thick blankets up around his shoulders.

You sighed, then sat near the foot of the bed, "you look greener than usual dude, did Donnie take your temperature?" you asked, removing your miniature backpack and placing it on the ground.

'Yeah, but he said it didn't do much, 'cuz we don't know if I'm too warm or too cold, cuz the cold-blooded and warm-blooded thing"

You nodded knowingly, hoping that Donnie knew a bit more about the whole mutated reptile situation than you did.

"So, I brought a few movies, some chicken soup, and a deck of cards, so let me know if you're bored okay?"

Mikey nodded, smiling warmly despite his current state. "You're too nice to me dude," Mikey teased, curling tighter into his blanket nest and earning a laugh from you.

"Even when you're sick, you're still the funniest guy I know!" you complimented.

You were both laughing now, something you knew Mikey needed when a loud growl rang through the room.

"Who's attacking the lair?!" Mikey said, trying to cover up the fact that his stomach just growled.

You smiled, "how about I go check, and make you that soup now?"