Chapter 16 - Evacuate

You were working on some homework, boring essay homework, typing away at your computer, the keyboard keys clicking away as you typed word after word.

BANG

Your head whipped around, at your window, in broad daylight, was Mikey, looking beaten up and frantic. Begging to be let in. You leapt to your window, throwing it open and pulling Mikey inside.

"Mikey!? What's wrong?" you asked, looking him over for more serious wounds.

"I don't have long to explain," he said, his voice scratchy, "just come with me, please"

Mikey seemed serious, so you followed, out the window, into the rain, and down to the streets, where a bright yellow hippie van was waiting for you.

Mikey ushered you into the back of the van, where Donnie, April, and Raph were waiting. You looked to the front, hoping to see Leo, but instead were greeted with some goth kid.

"Mikey, who-"

The kid spoke up, talking over you.

"Donnie! Where's the tracker saying Leo is?!" he barked, putting the pedal to the metal.

"Down eightieth street," Donnie replied, not looking up from his tracker.

You whizzed down the street, ignoring traffic lights and stop signs, driving down the wrong sides of the streets, swerving around abandoned cars.

"Mikey," you asked, your voice low, "what's going on, where are we going?"

"We've gotta leave the city for a bit, we'll explain once we're safer," he said, putting an arm around you and pulling you close.

The next few moments went by in a massive blur, Leo plummeting, dropped by a samurai-looking man. The sickening crack that rang out as his shell hit the pavement. Raph and Donnie loading him into the back of the van.

The next thing you knew you were driving down a barren highway, barely listening to an emergency radio alert about the state of New York City.

At exactly the stroke of midnight, the van stopped in front of a rustic farmhouse. Raph, Donnie and April dragged Leo's unconscious body up to the bathroom, where they laid him in a bathtub full of water.

"Is he gonna be okay?" you asked Donnie, your voice wavering under stress.

"He should be in time, but until then, everybody gets some rest," he ordered.

Mikey led you to where Raph had laid out foam mats and pulled you down into his arms.

You're sure no one slept that night.

You sure didn't.