lost but not forgotten // Loki Laufeyson

brief summary: being a mortal who fell in love with loki, and dealing with the aftermath of him being gone and raising his child alone 

It wasn't supposed to happen, it shouldn't have been a possibility. But as you learnt in a painful way, life decides to throw everything at you and see how you react.

You were a mortal, for starters. A complete nobody with any significance nor needs to be noticed by anyone. You were a normal person who just happened to be in the wrong place at a perfect time.

Neither of you would've said it was love at first sight, it was more pure bewilderment as you wandered into the building lot due to misdirection's from your phone. One thing you hadn't anticipated seeing was a man appearing in a cloud of smoke surrounded by a series of aliens holding a glowing scepter. You really weren't in the right location.

Loki had taken you captive but quickly realized despite being mortal, you two were rather similar. You were an outcast of sorts, not one to be missed if he were to kill you on the spot. He liked your wit, the face you didn't care if he was a God, he still looked stupid in that outfit.

And that was when it all began, you and Loki during his unaccounted years.

If only anyone knew he was hiding out on Earth, living with you in a small countryside location. Loki was slowly learning what it meant to be human around you, how delicate you were under the barriers you held up. He knew he was falling for you, and regardless of how long he might have with you, how long it could be until someone found him, he knew he wanted to spend his days with you.

Which is exactly what he did. Day in day out. Wandering around the countryside, you sang whilst he watched your passion thrive as you would smile to him, catching a glimpse of his smile in response.

What the two of you had wasn't perfect by any means, but it was enough for you both to be happy. And as the years went on, Loki was growing more worrisome about his home.

It wasn't a conversation either of you wanted to have, but you had no choice. Asgard wasn't going to be safe for long without Odin and with Thor gone he was left with few options. One was to let them all suffer, see how they'll live out their days on Asgard as it falls to its demise. Or, the more painful choice was to leave you and be the King his people needed.

When Loki left you were broken. You gave up everything for him, but he didn't have a choice and you tried to understand, you truly did.

"Oh my sweet, Y/n." He whispered into your hands as he lifted them to his lips, kissing them softly as his eyes remained on yours as tears continued to cascade down your cheeks. "I want you to take this," Loki placed a small locket in your palms.

It was a small stone, black as the void he was leaving you in. You didn't want it, but he insisted you needed it.

The truth of the stone was more painful than you wished it to be. You refused to believe it, that the glowing was true. Loki had told you countless stories of him faking his death, disappearing without a trace and you convinced yourself that was happening.

But life wasn't fair, life was cruel and as the necklace glowed on your neck you knew you were truly alone in the world.

Then again, life does enjoy throwing challenges when you least expect them.

*

"Shush, come on, you're okay." You whisper into his head as you bounce him up and down, swaying from side to side as you hum a lullaby. "Please don't cry, baby." You kiss his delicate head, how small he is in your arms as he coos in your embrace.