28

The next afternoon Jo and Jordan work on getting some of the music down for their song. They're sitting at Jordan's piano, Jordan plays the melody they've come up with. Jo jots down something and slides it over to Jordan. He stops playing and reads the words.

"One day up near Salinas, Lord, I let him slip away
He's lookin' for that home, and I hope he finds it
But, I'd trade all of my tomorrows, for a single yesterday
To be holdin' Bobby's body next to mine"

He laughs and scoots over on the bench. He pats its, indicating he wants her to sit. Jo sits next to him and starts playing one of her favorite songs by her namesake. She plays and sings "Me and Bobby McGee" flawlessly. Jordan loves the feeling she puts into everything she sings. Eyes closed, head back.

Watching her brings back so many amazing memories for Jordan. He gets up and takes his notepad. Words pouring out of him. He knows exactly what his part of their duet will say. He doesn't write her verses, he wants her to say what she feels on her own words.

"Yeah
I've been so lost lately
I don't really understand baby
Where did I go wrong
I wanna talk to you
Please call

I wish that I could take back all the things that I said
and replace them with simply I love you instead

I think about the past baby
Why we couldn't make it last, lady
I know you still have doubts
But I'm gonna prove that we can work things out

It's clear to me and I can't ignore
that I have to give you something I couldn't before

You don't wanna say goodbye
Your eyes, your face, your smile is what I miss"

He tells her to play the song they'd written.  He sings his words as she plays. His words touch her. His words are beautiful and personal. "Beautiful Jordan. Which part is mine?"

"Jo, I didn't write your part, just mine. I thought you'd want to write your own part."

She smiles at him. She never worked with another musician like him. Most songwriters/musicians want to write all the lyrics. To make sure it all meshed well. "Thank you Jordan. Now switch me places, you play and I'll see what I can get written."

So he plays and sings the first verse. She writes her part while he plays.  They know it would need touch ups. But they were proud of what they'd gotten done.

"Where do I begin with you
after all that we've been through
I don't think that it would be right if we
got together so suddenly

You don't wanna say goodbye
But you never really seem like you wanna try

If you didn't listen to your heart inside
then it really doesn't matter what was on your mind
and if you need me then tell me why

I wanna be sure that you know what you put me through
and reveal that you intend to never let me down again

Why'd you wait so long to take me back

It's all a simple misunderstanding

You don't wanna say goodbye
But you never really seem like you wanna try (Never wanna try)"

To celebrate they go out for dinner and drinks. After dinner, Jordan asks Jo to dance. They head to the dance floor, Jordan takes Jo into his arms.  He twirls her around the dance floor. They dance and laugh and just enjoy each other's company. It's good being out together. She's been so busy over the years, she'd forgotten how much she'd liked him as a friend.