Song-Based Oneshot•Anthony Reeves•Coffee Breath

Requested by Mikareyes12

Summary: Anthony and Lila has a one-night stand. They don't remember much, but Lila got pregnant. Anthony's presence in Lila's and his child's lives wavers, but eventually, he comes through.

Lila POV

Woke up in your new apartment
In your twin-size bed
Coffee starting

   I wake up in bed. Not my bed, no. I guess I stayed over with someone I met last night. The sheets smell like sex...I guess we did that.
   The twin-size is small and creaky when I get up from it. I open the bedroom door and walk down the hall, following the smell of coffee in the apartment's kitchen.

Don't remember much
All I know is that you talk too much
Time to go

   "Hey," the tall man whispers with a morning rasp when I enter the kitchen. I look around, taking in my surroundings. "I'm sorry, but I don't remember much from last night. What was your name, again?"
   "Lila. You?" I ask, turning back to him.
   "Anthony. I'm Anthony Reeves. It's nice to meet you, Lila. Under odd circumstances, I'm sorry to say, but you seem nice," he says quickly, leaning against the counter as the coffee brews. I nod in response to his words. "You don't seem to like to talk a lot, do you?"
   "I think I talk just about the right amount. I don't want to be one of the people who talk too much," I mutter.
   "Was that directed at me? I know I talk a lot, and I've got a big mouth and all, but I can't help it. I'm just one of those people." The pot clicks, indicating that the coffee is done. "Want a cup? Maybe we can talk."
   "No. I should be leaving now." I nod my head at him. "But thank you." I take my purse and jacket off the counter where it had been strewn last night.
   "Uhm, I hope you don't mind, but I wrote my number down and put it in your bag." Anthony smiles hopefully, then sips his coffee. "Maybe you could message me sometime, if you want."

You've got those big blue eyes
Drive me crazy
Make me fantasize
'Bout you baby

   Over the next few weeks, I slowly start to think about the talkative guy more and more. I hadn't messaged him, fearing he would want to meet up again. But his eyes, big and blue, kept creeping their way into my thoughts and driving me crazy at all hours of the day. I couldn't stop thinking about Anthony. I couldn't help thinking about what might have happened that night.

And you smell so sweet
Like fresh-picked daisies
Call me Dahmer 'cause your heart's so tasty

   Eventually, the thoughts wouldn't stop. I couldn't focus. The scrap of paper with a phone number written on it wouldn't leave me alone. I gave in and texted him.
   Hey, I wrote. Remember me? It's been a few weeks, but I couldn't stop thinking about your number.
   He responded after only a few minutes. Yes, of course I remember you. Lila. I'm glad you finally messaged me. Your text made my day. I'm glad that I met you at the bar that night. Let's meet up sometime.

And I watched you break
Like glass, you shatter
Said it's my mistake, I make things harder

   Sure, I responded. I smiled at the thought of getting to see him again.
   Over the next few days, what I thought could have been a case of the flu worsened into constant vomiting in the mornings. Eventually, I went to the doctor.
   I was pregnant. Four and a half weeks.
   I met Anthony four and a half weeks ago.
   I had to tell him.
   Hey, I began my text, can we meet up soon.
   I'm free this afternoon. Wanna grab lunch? I know this cute little cafe near my place.
   Sure, I responded. How about two o'clock?
   Perfect, Anthony replied. Meet me at Lucia's Cafe, then.
   I looked up the spot where we were supposed to meet. I was nervous, to say the least. I was about to tell a man that I'd only met once before that I was pregnant with his child.
   We met at the cafe. Anthony was already there when I arrived, and he smiled at me when I entered. I sat down quickly across from him.
   "Hi, Lila. I'm happy to see you again. How have you been doing?" Anthony asks with a wide grin, and I sigh. His smile falls. "Are you alright?"
   "Do you remover if you used a condom?" I ask him quietly. He looks rather taken aback by the question.
   "Uhm, I don't remember, no. Why?" Anthony rubs his hands together and leans in closer.
   "Well, either we didn't use one or it broke because I'm pregnant." His blank face stares back at me. "I know it's your's because I haven't had sex with anyone else in about four months, and the doctor said I'm four and a half weeks."
   "What?" Anthony whispers. "No." He shakes his head in disbelief, continuing to mumble the short phrase over and over again.
   "I didn't know how else to tell you," I say quietly. "Thought sooner would be better than later."
   "No," he mumbles again. "This can't be happening. This was a mistake. It's a mistake. The child was a mistake. A child. No."
   "I'm not getting an abortion, so don't bring that up," I mutter, not wanting anyone else to hear it.
   "I can't raise a child. I mean, we don't even hardly know each other." Anthony shakes his head again quickly and walks out before I can stop him.
   Anthony didn't step in to do anything during the pregnancy. We might not have known each other when I got pregnant, but he could have at least kept in contact with me. He didn't block me, but he didn't read any of my texts, either. Well, until I sent a text eight months after we met at the cafe. Hey, Anthony. I don't know if you'll see this, or if you'll care if you do, but I had the child earlier today. It's a little boy, and he's perfectly healthy. I'll send some pictures later.

So I tried my best
To shut my mouth
But all the thoughts I hid, dug their way out

   Anthony reaches out after that. About an hour after I sent that text, he responded, saying, I'd like some pictures. I know I haven't talked to you in a long time, but I'd like to meet him. What's his name?
   I sigh at the text, looking down at the baby boy sleeping against my chest. Harlyn, I reply and attach a few pictures to the message. (Picture above).
   He's handsome, Anthony responds. When can I meet him? If I can.
   I'll be at the hospital for a few more hours before I'm allowed to head home. You can come now, if you want. Nobody else is here to question you.
   Okay, Anthony sends. Thanks. Need me to bring anything with me?
   More diapers? I thought the package I brought would be enough, but Harlyn doesn't seem to agree, I send Anthony quickly.
   Sure thing, he responds.
   He has your eyes. Just thought you should know. I remember them, even after these months.
   Anthony came to the hospital with a package of diapers and a small teddy bear. When he walks in the room, I look over and smile.
   "Hi," I whisper to him. "Harlyn is sleeping."
   "I'll be quiet," Anthony whispers back, sitting down in a chair beside my bed. He sets the diapers on the floor next to him. "This is for him."
   "I think he'll like it." Anthony leans forward and gently sets the bear next to Harlyn. I push it a little closer, and he grabs it in his sleep and wriggles around. "Seems like he already does."
   "Yeah. Can I hold him? If that's okay."
   I nod. "Sure. Just don't wake him up," I whisper. I hand him over to Anthony, who cradles him against his chest with all the love and care in the world.
   "He's adorable," Anthony whispers.
   "Yeah, he is."
   "So, Lila, how have you been?" he asks me.
   "The pregnancy was fine. Nothing went wrong with it."
   "No," Anthony says. "How have you been?"
   I shrug. "Okay. Work has been fine."
   "That's...That's good." Anthony nods as he continues to look down at Harlyn. "I'm glad to hear that. So, what do you do for work?"
   "I'm the manager at this nice boutique. I got promoted a few months back, so that was nice."
   "Do you like working there?"
   "Yeah. The people are nice." I look at him again, still looking down at our baby. "What do you do?"
   "I actually do TikTok and some YouTube. I make pretty good money for it." I can see him smile down at Harlyn. "I hope it's good for supporting a child."
   I had hoped that it would be, too. But that loving, caring father role I saw at the hospital stayed at the hospital. Harlyn was always with me, never with Anthony, and after only a few weeks, he was back out of my life.
   I tracked him on social media. He never mentioned being a dad. I figured he wouldn't, but I still felt disappointed, in a way. Slowly, I noticed Anthony's posts on different platforms becoming different, too. His fans had noticed, and I could tell the hate was getting worse.
   Eventually, my thoughts from Anthony's online comments couldn't hold back. I posted on my Instagram a post that I knew I couldn't take back, even though Anthony's amount of followers dwarfed
mine.
   This is Harlyn. I had him a few months ago. His father is Anthony Reeves. I've noticed he's been acting different online and been getting more hate for his slight absence. Please realize that this might be hard on him. Thanks.

Said you can't trust me
I said it's fine
Because I'm not happy till I tell a lie

   Anthony quickly called me after I posted it.
   "What the heck? Why didn't you tell me about that?" he screamed at me. "I could've taken the hate. I don't need that out there. Thanks a lot for that."
   "I was trying to help. Anyway, shouldn't your fans know that you have a child?" I ask, trying to keep my cool.
   "They don't need to know that! Especially about a child I haven't even seen since he was born!" Anthony screams again. A silence falls over the line. Anthony breaks it after a few minutes. "I'm sorry. I'm just upset. I don't know why I'm screaming."
   "It's fine," I tell him. I lie to him, more accurately.
   "I'll try. I'll try to be there."

Now my bedsheets smell
Like your cologne
And in our separate world's we sleep alone

   Anthony finally kept his promise. He did try, and he did a good job of it. He saw Harlyn a few times a week and, if he could, would take him for a night at least one night a week.
   Anthony took care of the drama on social media, and even introduced Harlyn to his friends. I was there when he showed him to Jaden and Griffin for the first time and seeing the look on his face while talking about his son made me so happy. He looked awed, like this tiny human was the best thing in his world.
   After a few months of this, Anthony and I started dating. Our lives might have been completely different before, our personalities opposites, but it was amazing. Waking up to the smell of coffee and his cologne and walking into the kitchen to see him holding our baby was something I'd never get tired of.