Song-Based Oneshot•Griffin Johnson•Perfect

Requested by mackenziecarmean

Summary: After a long night out as friends, Griffin tells Lena that he loves her and explains to her why.

Lena POV
I found a love for me
Darling just dive right in
And follow my lead

   "I love this song," I murmur to Griffin as we sit outside in my backyard on the swinging bench. Griffin looks over at me, smiles, and stands up.
   "Let's dance, then." He holds out his hand to me, and I take it, standing up.
   "You want to dance to a slow song? In the backyard at night?" I ask.
   "I want to dance with you, if that's the same thing." He smiles at me again. "Come on," he says, pulling me away from the swing and towards the middle of the grass.
   "What is this for, Griff?" I ask as I set my arms around his shoulders and we begin swaying side to side to the lazily slow song.
   "I just wanted to dance with the girl I love while we were still dressed up," he tells me. I look at him with confusion.
   "What do you mean, the girl I love?" I ask him. Gridding just keeps smiling.
   "I-Lena, I love you. I have for years, and I know you might not be ready for it, and that we are just friends right now, but I found this love with you that I don't want to lose." Griffin looks down at me slowly. "I love you, Lena."
   I look at hi shoulder so I don't have to make eye contact while I sort through my thoughts. He loves me? He can't love me back. No, that's crazy.
   "Are you okay, Lena?" he asks quietly.
   "I'm scared. I'm scared about loving someone like this, that we might lose what we have. I can't lose you," I whisper.
   "You don't have to be scared. Just follow my lead, darling. We can do it."

Well I found a girl beautiful and sweet
I never knew you were the someone waiting for me
'Cause we were just kids when we fell in love

   "Why do you love me?" I ask him, pulling him closer and laying my head against his shoulder as we sway to the music.
   "You're incredible, don't you see? You're beautiful, sweet...just amazing all around. I've loved you for years, but I feel like I'm just feeling it full-force tonight. Lena, I think I've loved you since we meet when we were kids, but I know I've loved you for a while."

Not knowing what it was
I will not give you up this time

   "I-I didn't know about loving you, really, until you had started dating back in high school. I was jealous that I wasn't the one you were with. I probably should've asked you on a date back then." Griffin chuckles, and I can feel the vibrations in his chest. "But I promise you, Lena, I won't waste my opportunities with you again."

But darling, just kiss me slow, your heart is all I own
And in your eyes you're holding mine

   "That's good to know, I guess." I look back up at Griffin's smiling face. "I love you, too. I really love you, Griff." A smile breaks across my face, and Griffin grins, too.
   "That's amazing." He looks into my eyes for a while before leaning down and connecting our lips. It's a passionate yet soft kiss that lasts for a while.

Baby, I'm dancing in the dark with you between my arms
Barefoot on the grass, listening to our favorite song

   "I love you so much, baby, so much. I want to be able to tell you that forever," Griffin whispers, tucking a piece of hair behind my ear. "Whether it be dancing outside with you at night, or a shower in the morning, I want to tell you I love you everywhere and at every time I can."
   "I'd like that," I murmur, continuing to lay against his chest as we say to my favorite song.

When you said you looked a mess, I whispered underneath my breath
But you heard it, darling, you look perfect tonight

   "You want to love a mess like me?" I ask when the song is over.
   "Baby," he whispers. "Lena, you look perfect. You are perfect. In no way do I see a mess when I look at you, and trust me, I look at you a lot."
   I laugh at his comment, and we continue swaying to the sounds of the night until a cold breeze blows by, and we head inside. Wrapped up in a blanket on the couch, we lay against each other.

Well I found a woman, stronger than anyone I know
She shares my dreams, I hope that someday I'll share her home

   "Lena, I know you said you were scared to love someone again, but I promise, I won't use your love." Griffin looks down at me. "I was lucky enough to find a woman like you, so you know I wouldn't waste something as good as your love."
   "Thank you, Griff. Thank you." I hold onto his hand under the blanket.
   "I hope that one day, in the future, we will have been together for years and be right here, doing this same thing. Just sitting here, holding hands." Griffin sighs in content. "I'd like that a lot."
   "Me, too," I reply.

I found a love, to carry more than just my secrets
To carry love, to carry children of our own
We are still kids, but we're so in love
Fighting against all odds
I know we'll be alright this time

   "And maybe, years after that, we can have kids. We can sit here, holding hands and whispering while we watch our kids sleep. We can tell each other how much our love means while looking at the people that we created with our love. I think that would be a beautiful thing," Griffin mentions.
   "It would definitely be beautiful." I look back up at him. "I love you."
   "I love you, too, Lena. Against everything we've been through since we met, I've loved you. I won't mess it up." Griffin kisses me again, this time softer and shorter, but still incredible.

Darling, just hold my hand
Be my girl, I'll be your man
I see my future in your eyes

   "I love getting to just sit and hold your hand." Griffin smiles at me. "Lena, I never actually asked, but would you date me? Would you be my girlfriend?"
   "Yes," I whisper to him. "Of course I'll be your girl."
   "That's amazing," Griffin sighs. "I can see us together. Now, in the future, but still together. I think we were meant for each other."

Baby, I'm dancing in the dark, with you between my arms
Barefoot on the grass, listening to our favorite song
When I saw you in that dress, looking so beautiful
I don't deserve this, darling, you look perfect tonight

   "Dancing out there with you woke something in me," Griffin says. "Seeing you in that dress while your favorite song was playing out a smile on my face. You smiling puts a smile on my face."

Baby, I'm dancing in the dark, with you between my arms
Barefoot on the grass, listening to our favorite song
I have faith in what I see
Now I know I have met an angel in person
And she looks perfect
I don't deserve this
You look perfect tonight

   "I like hearing you say how much you love me," I tell Griffin.
   "Good, because I could go for days. I have faith in us, in our love. You are like an angel, Lena. You look perfect and speak with grace. You are just amazing. Perfect."