New Year's Oneshot•Joe Waud•Kiss

Summary: Joe breaks up with his girlfriend a couple of days before the New Year. His best friend, Lila, takes him to a small party try and get him over it.

Lila POV
   I sigh and look at the TikTok Joe just posted. He's crying because he broke up with his girlfriend. This is going to take him a while to get over.
   Hey Joe, I text him.
   Hi.
   Do you want to go do something? Just hang out? I send back to him. I walk around my room while I wait for a response.
   Nah. I think I might just go ahead and go to sleep, Joe sends me after a few minutes. I sigh, thinking of something we could do soon.
   Some friends of mine are having a small party on New Year's Eve. Want to come?
   How many people are going to be there? Joe asks after a couple of minutes.
   Twenty or so. You in?
   Sure. I'll pick you up if you send me the time, he sends back. I smile down at my phone with a relieved sigh.
   Alright. How about 8? It'll go till midnight.
   Sounds perfect. See you then Lila.
   See you then, I send back to him before sliding my phone away. I'll have until 8 tomorrow to find out what I'm going to wear.

   I look through my closet after I take my shower and decide on a little black dress. I put it on, then check my phone.
   I'll be there in about half an hour, Joe sent me a few minutes ago. I send back an okay before hurrying to finish getting ready.
   I finish drying my hair and brush it out, then put some makeup on. A knock comes at my door then, so I rush to slide my shoes on as I grab my phone and speed over to the door.
   "Hey," I say when I swing the door open. Joe stands up from where he was leaning against the side of the entryway.
   "Hey. Ready to go?" Joe asks me, looking over me. I smile and look down at myself.
   "Yeah." I close the door behind me and lock it, then follow him out to his car. He opens the door for me before walking around to the driver's seat.
   "You look nice, by the way," he says quietly.
   "Thanks. You do, too." He's wearing black dress pants and a dark blue short-sleeved shirt. You can see his muscles, and it looks kind of hot if I'm being honest.
   "What's the address?" Joe asks as he pulls down my driveway. I pull it up on my phone and tell him quickly. "Alright. That's not too far."
   We just make small talk on the way over. When we get to my friend's house, Joe parks out on the street and we get out.
   "It's nice," he tells me as we start up the sidewalk to the front doors.
   "Yeah," I reply, then knock on the door.
   "Lila! You came!" my friend says with a smile as she hugs me. I hug her back, then motion over to Joe.
   "This is Joe," I say.
   "Nice to meet you. Come on in." She swings the door open wider and we walk into a room filled with about 20 people. I smile back at Joe after looking around, and he returns he gesture.

   A while later, when we are all dancing around to loud music with the lights turned low, the countdown starts for the ball to drop. I see couples start making their way back together for their kiss at midnight.
   "Lila," Joe says breathlessly with a huge grin on his face.
   "Five!" everyone yells. "Four!"
   "Three!" I join in.
   "Two! One!" everyone yells. Couples start kissing, and the singles just start cheering.
   "Lila." Joe spins me back around to face him.
   "Yeah?" I ask with a smile.
   "New Year's kiss?" he says loudly over the music.
   "What?" I ask, not sure that I heard him correctly.
   "Do you want to be my kiss for the New Year?" Joe shouts with a wide smile on his face, pulling me closer to him.
   "Sure?" I reply nervously. Joe pulls me up against him and looks down at me.
   "Well, in that case, happy New Year, babe." Joe leans down and kisses me on the lips, so I kiss him back. He pulls away after a while, still out of breath.
   "Happy New Year," I tell him with a smile.