𝓑𝓲𝓻𝓽𝓱𝓭𝓪𝔂 𝓖𝓵𝓸𝔀

Superstition:

On your birthday make a wish and blow out all of the candles on the cake for it to come true.

Numb. His body. His brain. His emotions. Numb.

Taehyung let him in, he doesn't know why--probably the shock. He should have slammed the door in his face immediately, but curiosity had loomed over him.

But curiosity killed the cat for a reason.

His father got his address from his mother, (he wasn't even aware that she had his address), and claimed that he had remembered his birthday and wanted to see how he was doing.

After all those years...how kind of him.

Was he expecting a warm hug? Taehyung had little memory left of the time when he didn't despise him. Little memory left of the time he believed in silly things like the Tooth Fairy, Easter Bunny, Santa Clause, and...love.

Jungkook had stood protectively behind him while Jimin and Yoongi sat nearby in dumbfounded silence, quietly observing.

He had reached out a calloused hand and attempted to tuck a long lock of hair behind his son's ears, but Taehyung had recoiled with a cry of anger and fear. His father-no; sperm donor, had the audacity to look hurt.

"Taebear-" he began, and Taehyung winced as he was reminded of the reason why he had stopped calling people by anything but their formal name.

"It's Taehyung," he spat.

"It'll always be Taebear to me," the male murmured, reaching out again, this time towards Taehyung's shaking hands.

He had almost managed to grab ahold of them when his wrist was caught and pulled back. "Don't touch him." Jungkook growled, his voice was laced with venom. "You don't have the right to touch him or call him by anything but his formal name."

Taehyung felt relief wash over him. There was obviously a reason why he didn't like innocent touches, sweet gestures, and pet names, and while he had never told Jungkook why, it had appeared that the younger had figured it out himself.

"He's my son, I believe I have every right," Taehyung's sperm donor calmly replied.

Jungkook's eyes blazed with the furry that Taehyung couldn't express, because his was masked by a deep sadness. "You're not allowed to call him your son, try and touch him again and I will break your wrist! Why are you here?" he inquired in a stern, demanding tone.

Taehyung closed his eyes tightly to keep the tears from falling.

"I wanted to wish my son a happy birthday, is that so wrong?" The male asked, feigning innocence.