Oblivious 14/ PHOTO OP

Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam

Catherine and Steve were weaving through a throng of tourists as they left Pearl Harbor after a retirement ceremony and luncheon for Lieutenant Michael Buchannan, who'd served with Steve on several missions. The day was what Danny would call 'hotter than the hinges of hell' and Steve in his dress blues and Catherine in an emerald green crepe dress were very much aware of the sweltering heat.

"It was a great afternoon and Michael and Eileen look terrific," Catherine said as she clasped Steve's fingers and smiled up at him. "A little warm for an outside lunch at two o'clock, though, huh?"

"Unless it's lunch on the beach? Yeah, little bit." Steve squeezed her fingers gently. "We've got the rest of the day. How about we take Cammie for a swim the second we get home?" Steve was never one to complain about weather conditions, but any time he could spend in the water made him that much happier.

They were nearly to the exit area where a group of twenty-somethings were taking photos of the base and each other. Catherine saw two of the girls snap photos of her and Steve, or more accurately, Steve in uniform, when the braver of the two approached and said "Hi!"

Catherine smiled at Steve's look. He'd been focused on her telling him about Cammie's latest adventure on their run that morning, and seemed unaware of the girl's greeting. "Um, Steve." She nodded and he followed her eyes.

Seeing the blond, smiling tourist Steve glanced to Catherine and back. "Can I help you?"

She nodded, her teeth worrying her lower lip. "You're like, an officer, right?" She pointed a bright pink fingernail at Steve's insignia.

"Yes," Steve looked around for signs of trouble, "can I help you?"

"I was ... we were wondering if ..." She gestured over her shoulder, "would you take a picture with me?"

Steve looked nothing short of horrified. "What?"

"A picture, Silly! A photo op." She looked at Catherine. "Maybe you could ...?"

Steve was staring at her, astonished. "No! I ... ah, sorry, no. No pictures."

"Awww. Then could I borrow your hat and wear it for a selfie?"

"Look, I'm ... it's a cover, but, no. Civilians aren't permitted to wear uniform components and I'd be out of uniform if I took it off. I'm ... we need to ..." He motioned to the parking lot and tugged on Catherine's hand.

The girl shrugged. "'kay. That's too bad, 'cause you're a hottie, everyone back home would be jealous." She spotted a group of sailors in their twenties and aimed her camera at them as Steve led Catherine along to the exit.

"What the hell was that?" He only stopped when they reached the truck.

Catherine was full-on laughing. "That, once again, was McGarrettitis. It goes into overdrive when you're in uniform."

"Catherine ..." He shook his head. "Asking a stranger for a picture, what was she thinking?"

"Seriously?" She patted his cheek, "Oh my God, your face when she asked about the cover for a selfie."

He said, "Not funny, Cath ..." but his smirk gave him away.

"C'mon I saw you scope the perimeter. You thought the photo was for some kind of enemy surveillance."

He furrowed his brow. "Maybe."

Catherine climbed into the truck and smoothed the bottom of her dress before buckling in. "Maybe?"

Steve got into the driver's seat and started the engine. He handed his cover to Catherine, who placed it in the back seat with her purse, then sighed as the blast of cool air from the air condition filled the cab. She adjusted the vents toward her and Steve and sat back.