Sorry

Draco got to their spot especially early. He was passing with anxiety. He had not seen her all day. He had seen her two companions many times throughout the rest of the day but she was never with them. There was no doubt in Dracos mind now that she was much more to him than Potters mudblood friend. He cared for her like he had never had for anyone before. He couldn't stop thinking of what might happen to her. The worst things were going through his head when his thoughts were interrupted by the door opening. She walked slowly. Her eyes were red. She looked like she hadn't slept in days but af the same time as though she just woke up. Draco stood still. He watched her make her way to him. He was starting to learn that whenever he thinks he has seen her at her worst, she shows him more of her pain. Hermione approached him and he saw that her sleeve was rolled up and damage was already done. It was worse this time. Bleeding more than usual. She must have had more pain than usual. Draco was surprised at her actions. She always did it in this room. For the past few weeks she had even attempted to wait for him to come and talk to her. It didnt always work but it did sometimes and Draco thought maybe it was the first step to getting her to stop.

    "Why didn't you come talk to me? I've been here waiting." Draco tried not to sound harsh. It wasnt her fault this was happening. The last thing he wanted to do was make her feel guilty. Hermione closed the short distance between them by putting her head and hands on his chest.
   "I'm sorry Draco" she sobbed quietly and sunk into him. He gently put his arms around her, being careful not to touch her fresh wounds. They stayed like this for a minute, not long enough in Hermione's opinion.

    "Let's get you cleaned up." With those words Draco stroked her head and placed a small kiss on her forehead. It wasnt planned. Draco assumed it was ok because she didnt pull away or give him a funny look. He decided he would save that type of conversation for another day. A day that she felt good. They were fee and far between but she did have good days.

    Draco took Hermione's hand and took her over to the sink. He did the normal routine of rinsing of the blood in the sink, hushing her cries of pain as he went. She still didn't let him heal them with his wand or wash of the blood but he was able to convince her to let him use a disinfecting charm so her cuts didnt get infected. The only way he was able to do that was by telling her that if they got infected she would have to go to the hospital wing and then at least one other person if not many would know. He felt extremely guilty for using her fear in that way but he didnt want her to have to deal with something else. Especially something that had the potential to keep her in the hospital for quite a while. As he was finishing up his work on her arm Hermione's small voice filled his ears.

   "I feel dead today" she spoke calmly.

   "What do you mean?" Dracos worry skyrocketed.

"I feel as though I'm living but shouldn't be. Like I'm already gone. Like theres no saving me." She was staring at the floor now. She didnt see the tears in Dracos eyes. He didnt want to cry because he didnt want to make her feel bad for telling me this. He was struggling to hold back the tears when she looked up at him. Her expression went from blank to horrified.

   "I'm so sorry" she said, now beginning to cry. Draco quickly pulled her to his chest and held her head.

   "Don't you ever be sorry for this" that time he was a bit harsh. He couldn't help it. She could not think that this was something to be sorry for. She needed to know she could tell him anything.