Meeting

Draco had been contemplating asking Hermione about her eating habits for a couple days. She had become quite irritable since she had been cut off from harming. It was like her drugs were taken away and she was going through withdrawal. Draco had never been around anybody who harmed or anything similar but he was beginning to realize that it was in fact an addiction. She was struggling to keep clean. The biggest indicator was her emotions. Hermione would lash out at her friends and only a moment later she would break down in tears and profusely apologize for her actions. Harry alerted McGonagall of this new behavior.  This led to many of Hermiones close friends, himself, Draco and the Weasley children, to be in a meeting with McGonagall and Madam Pomfrey about what to expect from Hermione. The Professor had asked Draco who to include and the pair decided that Luna would be a good person to get Hermione away while still being with someone she enjoyed. Luna also seemed to know how to handle these out bursts the best. This was probably due to her bubbly and defusing personality. So if anyone had to miss the meeting, the odd witch would be the best option.

The following evening, while Hermione was taking a walk with Luna, the group met in the professors classroom to see the two older witches waiting. Once everyone was seated, Professor McGonagall started the conversation. 

"I have called you all here to discuss Hermione. Madam Pomfrey and I have agreed on a short and simple explanation on a concern that has been brought to my attention. I have been informed that Hermione has developed some odd behaviors since has returned from the hospital wing." The older witch spoke calmly but the least perceptive of ears could have heard the sorrow in her voice. This was a rare circumstance to be in at Hogwarts. One that no Professor would ever want to have to deal with. McGonagall has gotten to know Hermione like she has with all of her other students. She scolded herself for not seeing what was going on. All of the teachers shared this feeling. Harry chimed in almost immediately with his input on the situation. 

 "Yes professor. She has been moody and shut off from the rest of the world. She isn't doing her school work and doesn't even seem to be paying attention in class" Harry spoke timidly, his voice filled with concern. Draco looked at his so called enemy from a few seats over. He found his hand form into a fist. Why hadn't he noticed she hadn't been doing her school work. Hermione hadn't been paying attention in class for months but she always turned in her work. Draco felt the tears in his eyes. Hermione wasn't the only emotional one recently. He just usually made sure no one saw it. 

"It's because she stopped harming isn't it." Draco blurted the words out without even thinking. A silence fell over the room. He had forgotten how recently some of them had found out and then began to wonder if everyone in the room fully knew the situation. He cursed himself silently as eyes fell to the ground along with some tears from various students around the room. After a long pause, Madam Pomfrey spoke up. 

"Yes we believe these new actions have been caused by the sudden stop of her addiction. She is going through the mental symptoms of withdrawal. She will be emotional and it will be hard for her to concentrate on much other than her longing to continue the habit. It could take months for her to return to her normal self. "

"That being said, judging by the number of scars we observed on her body and the information Draco has given me, it seems that she has not been herself for quite some time. " The professor instantly added. Another silence had taken over. Draco saw the looks on his classmates faces. It was as if they had all realized at once that there were more signs then they could count. In that moment everyone in the room shared a feeling of guilt and regret for not having helped their friend. If Hermione were there she would have tried to make all of it go away by telling them that she hid it as best they could and that she didn't need any help. Draco could almost hear her words before he and everyone else was snapped back to reality by a shakily asked question. 

"How do we help her?" Ron had spoken with as much normalcy as he could. He wasn't too good at dealing with emotions. Not even his own. McGonagall was met with many sets of sad eyes eagerly waiting for an answer. 

"She needs you all to be patient with her. She needs you to tell her that she is alright. She needs to be reminded of what she loves. Ask her for help in her favorite subject, bring her her favorite foods, get her a book from the library. Do what you can to remind her that she has friends and she has things that can make her smile." With this the meeting was basically done. The older witches told the children to come to them with any concerns and made sure to remind them that all Hogwarts professors were available at all hours to assist any students in need. The students were then dismissed. All except for Harry, Ron and Draco. 

"What is it professor?" Harry started as the three young wizards approached their teacher. 

"I wanted to inform you that Hermione has passed all of her wrist checks. As of now we are moving to every other week. We are also removing the professor outside of her common room as that doesn't seem to be needed. I need the three of you to help me in keeping an eye on her. You all have been doing a wonderful job but with lifting restrictions I just want to make sure she stays on the track to recovery. Any questions?" The witches fast speech was met with three shaking heads indicating that nothing furthest needed to be said. The group said their goodbyes and McGonagall gave Draco one last request as the three boys were walking away. "Mr. Malfoy," there was an awkward yet amused tone to her voice that the wizards had not heard from her in a while. Draco spun to look at his professor. "make sure she's not harming anywhere else would you?" The witch wore a half smile as Draco felt his face turn red.