Finding Comfort

As Harry entered the common room, he saw Ron still sitting on the couch, staring at the fire. It looked like he was on the verge of tears. This is a sight Harry rarely saw. Ron wasn't the type of person to show sadness. In his family there were jokes and smiles and not much else. He was toughened up by his older brothers and learned to protect his little sister. Ron just didn't express emotions very well and that was ok. Harry knew he cared about his friends a great deal and excepted that Ron doesn't do sad. But it looks as though something snapped in him. Hermione had always been there to save the boys. She had always been there to do crazy things with them. She had always taken care of them. Ron and Harry were now realizing that she needed to be taken care of and they felt terrible that they didn't see that before.

"I thought you wanted to go to bed." Ron jumped at Harry's words. He wiped his eyes and turned towards him.

"I was going to. I couldn't." His voice was weak. Ron felt like it would hurt her more if he wasn't here when she got back. He felt like it would make it seem like he didn't care when really, in this moment, all he wanted to do was make her feel better. He wanted to be a better friend. Ron couldn't help but think that if he didn't make fun of her intelligents and use her for homework help all the time that maybe she would be happier. Maybe she would see him as someone she could go to. His thoughts were interrupted by Harry taking a deep breath and slowly opening his mouth to speak.

"She's ok. She's outside the common room and she's..." there was a long pause as though Harry was deciding if it was a good idea to tell him. "...not alone." Harry looked down at his feet as he said this last part. Ron shot his friend a confused look, urging him to say more. "She was with Malfoy" Harry nearly whispered. He looked up just in time to see Ron's eyes widen and his face contort into a disgusted expression. He was angry. Harry knew he would be. "I don't know the details but I know there is something there. It seems like he's maybe been helping her through this. This isnt ideal and I would rather have her hanging around litterally anyone else. But I think we owe it to her to be a better friend than we have been and let her make this choice."  Harry was hoping beyond anything that he could make Ron atleast slightly ok with this before Hermione came in. She didn't need to be yelled at. She didn't need anyone questioning something that clearly was making her feel better. Ron's face, although still strained, softened a little. He knew that he couldn't be angry at her. She was simply finding comfort. Ron was sure it wouldn't last long. He was sure that it was simply because her best friends weren't doing their jobs. As soon as Harry and Ron stepped up, she would be done with him. He thought all of these things but deep down he knew that Hermione wasn't like that. Hermione wouldn't even interact with that farret unless there was something more. And she certainly wouldn't abandon someone like that. He knew this wasn't going to end and it killed him. Just then, the boys heard someone coming through the entrance. Hermione looked at the boys and immediately knew Harry had told Ron. She stood still where she was and folded her arms. She looked down at the floor. She couldn't face them. She knew she had to though. She had to right now. Harry moved over on the couch to make room for her next to him and across from Ron. He pat the seat, signaling for her to come sit. This is going to be hell She thought to herself as she made her way to the couch and sat down.