Sleeves

Hermione was worried about something other than her and Draco today. She had decided that she should be with her friends for the day. They didnt have classed and she was feeling a little better so she thought she would make the most of the day. The trio was walking and laughing by the lake. It was getting rather warm at Hogwarts. This was great for taking such walks but not so great for Hermione who was still wearing long sleeves and jackets everyday. This morning she had put on a short sleeved shirt forgetting the obvious damages that now spread across both of her arms. She thought about using one of many cosmetic charms to conceal them but she doubted they would fully cover it and somehow it felt wrong to cover that part of her in that way. She didn't know why but the thought of taking away the scars made her anxious. Maybe it's because having them gone would only make her want to remake them. So she threw on a jacket. Now, walking along the water, she was very warm. She could feel her cheeks become red from heat as Harry asked why she didnt just take the jacket off.

    "Really Hermione its hot" Exclaimed Ron "I'll hold it for you if you'd like"

    "Thank you but no. I'd rather keep it on." Hermione was trying to be calm and cool but if she was being honest she was scared they would somehow convince her to take it off and reveal her secret. And Ron was right. It was hot. Maybe she should take it off. Maybe she should tell them. They were her bestfriends after all and they did care about her in their own ways. Even if they didn't show it very well. Her train of thought was interrupted by Harry suddenly tugging at the unzipped jacket causing it to slip down her shoulder.

    "Hermione your face is red come on." Harry's slightly chuckled before his face went blank causing Hermione to look down to where he was looking. The jacket had slipped just past the length of her sleeve revealing a single fading scare. "What is that mione." His voice came as a whisper. He looked up at her and she avoided his gaze. There were tears threatening to fall as she realized her secret was going to come out right now no matter what she wanted.

    "What's what?" Ron came closer to Hermione and followed Harry's eyes. His own went a little wide with confusion. Ron reached out both of his arms and dragged the jacket off of her completely. He let it hit the ground as his hand grabbed her arms instantly.

    Both of her friends were staring at her arms as she hid her face behind her mess of hair. There were some very new ones that she assumed they were focusing on. When Ron finally let go of her arms after several moments, she crossed them over her chest. Her usually marvelous posture had left her. She was curled into herself in a very uncomfortable and unconfident way. If she would have looked up she would have seen Harry's tearful eyes looking at her like she was dying. And she would have seen the shock written all over Ron's face. But she was scared to look up. She was scared to let them see her like this. She was scared that they would never treat her the same again.

   Harry neared her slowly. He put one hand on her shoulder and then, as if he could no longer restrain himself, he hugged her as tight as he could. She still hadn't unfolded her arms but she layed her head on his shoulder. Ron joined his two best friends and wrapped his arms around both of them. Harry was holding the back of her head and Ron was rubbing her back as she quietly allowed herself to shed a few tears.