Good Friend

Harry looked up at the pair confused. His eyes went wide as his gaze traveled down to their joined hands. He didn't think much of her leaving. He just thought she was going off somewhere by herself. He was actually rather worried. Harry had seen how deep some of those cuts were. He didn't know what she was going to do or what she was capable of. Ron told him over and over again to go to bed. He didn't understand. Hermione was family to him. Harry would be lost without her. Ron was frustrated him beyond belief. That was how Harry ended up outside of the common room. When she didn't come back for a while he thought the worst. He wouldn't be able to say what he thought she might do to herself. He didnt want to lose her. She looked so upset when she left and looking back Harry realized that she had looked broken for months. It was if something happened over the summer that changed her. How could he not have noticed? How could he not have seen that his best friend was in so much pain. Harry hated himself for being so neglectful. He was almost glad to see that someone was with her. He pushed that thought aside as he stood up and grabbed Hermiones rist, pulling her away from Draco.

"Get away from her!" Harry used his most intimidating voice and yelled as loud as he could without getting them all caught. Draco held on to Hermiones hand and stood his ground. He didn't want to let her go. He also didn't like the idea of backing down to Potter. He may care for Hermione but that didn't mean his feelings on the stupid chosen one have changed. He was about to tell him to leave them alone when he heard a timid voice beat him to it.

"Its ok Harry. He's not doing any harm to you and I want him so you have no reason to tell him to leave." She spoke in her usual logical tone. Harry looked shocked. Draco couldn't help but smirk at him.

"Fine then we'll go instead." Harry pulled Hermiones arm in a desperate attempt to get her to go into the common room with her. He was furious. Then he realized something. The thoughts of what Hermione was going through had left his mind and he was only thinking about himself and his rivalry. He absolutely hated the idea of her being in the same room with him. But Harry thought to himself that he had been such a bad friend lately that maybe he owed her this. He owed it to her to be a good friend. He turned around and looked her in the eyes. She almost looked scared. She looked like she couldn't understand why he was trying to take her away. Harry gave both of them one last sceptical look and let go of Hermione.

"You have 3 minutes. I'll be waiting right inside this door and we will talk about this." Hermione shook her head in agreement and turned towards Draco. Harry disappeared into the common room.