Recovery

As soon as the curtain was pulled back, Draco was on his feet and by her side. He vaguely heard Hermione's friends asking if she'll be ok. He heard the answer. She lost a lot of blood and needs to rest for the next few days atleast. There was also mention of her being constantly monitored and the 4 of them were dismissed from classes for the next few days if they wanted to stay with her. Draco wasn't going to leave her side. For the next few days Draco had his own chair beside her bed. Professor Mcgonagall and professor Snape brought him food along with Hermiones meals. He didn't talk to any one that came in, only her when she was awake. She slept a lot. Partially because she was still weak and partially because everything was overwhelming her. She didn't say much but it seemed to make her feel better when he talked to her so he did as much as he could. She didn't say more than a few words to her friends that came in. Hermiones bedside was full of flowers, candies and gift baskets. They were left by various classmates. Draco and Hermione often had company for about 10 minutes at a time. More if it was Harry or Ron. Others came too. Ginny, Nevel, Luna and any others who even slightly called themselves her friends. Draco didn't mind people coming as long as he could sit and hold her hand while they talked to her. He was only asked to leave by Hermione once and it was to talk to the boys for a moment and then he was right back in his chair. He even slept there. No one dared to move him. He was almost as fragile as she was in these moments.

---

Hermione didn't remember much. She remembered hearing screams and she very vaguely remembered being carried off. The next thing she knew she was in the hospital wing with professor Mcgonagall crying over her. She had never seen the witch so upset. She felt terrible for what she did. Hermione didn't mean to upset anyone. Her mind jumped to Draco. She realized he was the one who found her. She tried to ask where he was but she felt so weak and lightheaded.

"Draco" was all that came out.

"Just a moment dear." The professor took her hand and gave it a squeeze. "He's been waiting to see you for hours. Madam Pomfrey just needs to check you one more time before we leave you alone." Hermione stopped paying attention to what was going on around her. She didn't snap out of it for a while. Not even when the curtain was pulled back and Draco was at her side. She felt her hand being taken by him and that's when she started to come back to reality. The next few days were spent giving small smiles to friends and classmates. Harry and Ron visited often. They insisted Draco left them alone to talk so she gave in once. She didn't want him to ever leave her but they wouldn't shut up. All they wanted to talk about was how they would miss her and how they could have helped. They could have said that with Draco there. And she didn't have much of a response for them. She didn't want to talk to anyone. She just wanted to sleep. Draco seemed to be the only one who understood that. He would talk to her for a while and try and cheer her up but he knew when to stop and let her rest. She loved him. She was completely sure now. She loved how he cared for her. She loved how he knew her and wanted to keep learning about her. Hermione was glad they didn't make him leave her side. Draco was always there when she woke up. He would smile at her and brush hair out of her face. Even when everything seemed to be going so bad, he always managed to be her bright side.