Chapter 5

I want to be with you forever.

- Paul Kim

C H A E Y O U N G

"J-Jennie?" I softly exclaim, clearly confused, and feel my heart beating like a train.

She stares at me, confused. No, it can't be. Then why does this feeling feel so familiar? Her appearance alone can make my heart beat crazy.

"I'm sorry, but you heard it wrong. The name's Ruby Jane," She corrects as she extends a hand for a handshake.

I look at Lisa with an unsatisfied look. She shakes her head, making me realize this person was not Jennie. But her face says otherwise; the only difference is her blonde hair.

I shakily extend my arm for a handshake. "Chaeyoung P-Park," I say, greatly confused about what to feel. And when she touched my hand, the familiar warmth got me frozen again.

Stop overthinking.

She's not who you think she is.

"Ruby Jane Park," She smiles, though I can see it's forced.

Without further awkwardness, I excused myself from them and went inside my room. My heart was still going crazy. It hadn't been like this since Jennie left. I ruffled my head in frustration.

She's not Jennie. Get over it, Chaeyoung!

Her face resembles Jennie, and I can't help but break all over again.

I miss her too much.

~~~

L I S A

Once the door closed shut. Jane and Jisoo stared at me, looking for answers. I sigh and lead them to the living room.

"I deeply apologize for Chaeyoung. She hasn't been well these past few years," I mumbled, and they nodded, understanding her situation.

"She lost someone important to her."

"And I assume this person is Jennie?" Ruby Jane asks softly, and I stare at her.

She looks so much like Jennie.

I nodded and smiled.

"Lis, tell me something I don't know," Jisoo says, getting worried. She noticed how we both reacted when we met Ruby Jane.

"I'll tell you later. For now, you guys need to rest. There's a spare house not far from Chaeyoung's."

~~~

Once Jisoo and Ruby Jane were settled in the house. I quickly went to Chaeyoung to see if she was doing fine. Fine is hardly the word to choose for her situation right now. I knocked, and she opened the door.

"L-Lis," She calls, sobbing, and it breaks my heart to see my best friend like this. Lost, damaged, and an outcast to her own family. What did she even do to deserve this? I went inside and embraced her for a hug. I was comforting her in the best way I could. Despite being a dork and childish, I know when to be serious.

"I know, it would have hurt most if it was Jennie," I say, rubbing circles on her back.

"She looks like Jennie. I can-"

I broke the hug and stared at her, who stared back at me. I wiped her tears with my thumb and cupped her once chubby cheeks. "Listen to me. I know it hurts. Chaeyoung, It's been three years since she left you. You need to move on." I say, and I pierced her with my last sentence.

"You're making it sound so easy when it isn't," She replies coldly.

"Jennie left without even giving you a chance to explain. You worked your butt off for years. You deserve to be loved, without a doubt. If you could handle your parent's shit before, you'll get through this."

"You don't understand. Jennie was why I found the reason to fight through the day." Chaeyoung sobs.

"Chaeyoung, is Jennie all you can think of?" I asked painfully. "Have you ever thought about me? I care for you. BamBam does. Weren't we family before Jennie came?" I said as I began to sob.

Chaeyoung widens her eyes as if she is guilty. I understand if she tends to forget about BamBam and me. Jennie was her wife, and she was who Chaeyoung should focus on.

"At least do it for us. You have become a big part of our lives, Chaeyoung-ah. And we can't lose you like we lost our parents. Please..." I say as I hug her tighter.

~~~

C H A E Y O U N G

Just how stupid can I get? Lisa's words slapped me out of my senses as much as I wanted to deny it. She's right. I need to move on from her. I'm fighting with myself again; should I move on? Because it seems like my heart will be forever hers.

Someone once told me that you never forget your first love; you'll always love them. In some strange twisted way, your brain ignores all the pain they caused because you love them. And they were right.

I will never see the world the same because of her, and I sometimes wish I could change that as much as I want to erase what Jennie and I once had. I can't. Because she has shaped me into the person I am today, and because of that. I wouldn't change a thing.

But then Lisa's right. I need to be better for them. I did my best to help Lisa and BamBam gets through life when they were worse. I finally understand that Lisa is trying to help me get through it. I feel guilty for pushing her away. If BamBam were here, he'd probably give me a piece of sense.

~~~

I was playing the piano around nine when I heard someone by the door. I stopped and froze as I saw who it was. Ruby Jane, she was standing by the door, watching me.

"I-I didn't mean to interrupt, but Lisa asked me to come to get you for breakfast." She shyly says, looking down.

I sighed and stood up. But before I could go out. I stopped in front of her, which made her look at me with an unreadable expression. Was she scared?

"I'd like to apologize for what happened yesterday. It was unruly of me."

Her eyes began to soften. I tried to control my feelings because of the familiarity of her face, making love, my wife.

"It's fine, I understand. Lisa explained to us." She says, and I furrowed my eyebrows.

Ruby Jane noticed it and began to panic, which I find cute. "It-It's not what you think it is. It wasn't detailed. Just a short explanation." She rambles like a child, making excuses to avoid being scolded by a parent.

I smiled at the sight of her. "It's alright. How about we start over?."

"I'm Chaeyoung Park, and it's nice to meet you." I smiled as I extended my hand for a handshake.

She happily accepts. "I'm Ruby Jane Park."

=====

A penny for your thoughts?