Chapter 19

J E N N I E 

I arrived in New York and went home to look for Sooyoung. I was still angry at how Chaeyoung could blame my parents for our ruined marriage when it was all on her. I opened the door loudly, which made Sooyoung flinch from her seat in the living room, and I was surprised to see me home.

"Yo-You're home," She says and grows worried when she notices my state is not pleasing to see. I was a wreck. 

I may be angry, but I couldn't help but need her warmth. And so, I hugged her tight, making her gasp from the sudden contact. I buried my face in her neck and cried. She then hugged me back and drew comforting patterns on my back.

 "Did something happen-" 

"I love you," I say, and she widens her eyes. As I remember, I usually don't say these, and Sooyoung would always say it first but didn't mind me if I replied or not. She cups my cheek and wipes away the tears with her thumb. 

"Why? Suddenly," She asks softly, trying to keep the atmosphere calm as she is careful with her words. Her eyes were confused, but I could see she was happy about it. 

"Do you love me?" I asked her, and she furrowed her eyebrows. I gripped my hand, which was holding onto her arm. 

"Of cour-" I cut her off by smashing my lips into hers. Sooyoung got surprised by my impulsive behavior and pulled away when she got the chance. 

"Lov-" 

"I'll go get some rest," I say, leaving her. Why did it feel so painful? She's my wife.  I am so confused. I don't remember much, and I wish to have these mixed feelings disappear. 

~~~

C H A N Y E O L

A few days after, Chaeyoung knew everything, and Jennie left. I decided it was time for me to resign from my position. I have already signed the papers, and it is up to the board who will become the next CEO. Right now I'm going to visit my parents. As much as I didn't want to, I had to tell them why I quit, and I didn't care anymore if they disregarded me as their son. The only thing I want is to find meaning in my life again. 

Before I could resign, I terminated my partnership with SM Entertainment and Kim Holdings. Park Entertainment has been one of the reasons why Kim Holdings were rising each year and would have been significant if I partnered with SM. I terminated the contract to let Mr. and Mrs. Kim have a taste of their own medicine. I'm tired of their pleas and demands. It's like they're using the company for their benefit. 

I don't know what the future holds. But I'm confident enough that things will get better as long as I'm doing something right. I went inside the mansion and was greeted by my parents, who were sitting on the couch with papers on the coffee table. The atmosphere screamed terrible news, and I didn't mind if this went down for me.

My Father was sitting formally. Facial expression was cold, as always. "Is this true?" He asks about the papers on the table. It was a copy of my resignation from the company. I shivered in fear as his voice was more profound than hell. 

"Why would you give up the company when it's all going too well?" He faced me, and his eyes were angry. "We finally own my brother's company. How could you!?" He yells, and I remain in my position. I'm not afraid of him anymore. I stared at my Mother, who was beside him, listening. I pity my Mother for marrying such an insane man. I even pity Chaeyoung's Mother. They married such ruthless brothers who were enemies and treated people in wicked ways.

"This is my life, Father. I do not wish to live a life under you or everyone from here." I say, emotionless. He stood up and kept my eyes in front. 

"Leave," He says, which caught me off guard. Is he letting me go? That easily?