40. escapees

maybe it was the way his hair drifted in delicate locks across the white pillow that caught his attention. maybe it wasn't actually anything at all and jungkook was going even crazier than he already was, but he ignored his temptation to wake taehyung up. he looked too peaceful and if jungkook had ruined anything in that boy's life, it was his peacefulness.

sunshine rained in through the dim curtains. the scent of rain was still fresh in their hair and on their clothes, along with the scent of french fries and coke.

as jungkook laced up his shoes on the end of the bed, taehyung made a small attempt of a warning.

"jungkook," taehyung said softly, almost like his breath was being stopped by an invisible force.

jungkook held his breath as a loud knock erupted on the door.

"police, open up! we have a warrant!"

taehyung's eyes darted from the door and back to jungkook as panic settled in his stomach.

"fuck, we need to get out," jungkook sighed, almost as if he wasn't surprised as he made his way towards the window, pulling the dusty blinds back to reveal the backs of buildings, like noodle shops and laundromats.

taehyung took one last glance at the room and slid on his sneakers without bothering to lace them while grabbing his bag of clothes off of the table.

lifting the cheap window upwards with steady hands, jungkook didn't even have time to think about finger prints or their dna all over the room. at this point, did it really matter?

his brown eyes staring down the steep alley way, taehyung's hands shook as he clutched the window sill.

the dingy ass window slid upward and collided with the window frame, notifying the officers that someone was in fact inside the room.

"t-they'll know," taehyung mumbled as jungkook stood behind him.

another bang was delivered on the door.

"i'm gonna lift you down, and you're gonna jump," jungkook's every word was coated in stress.

it was an empty alley with navy pavement, dark and dusty. only a five foot jump. still, taehyung worried. he'd never done anything like this and with his luck, he'd probably break an ankle.

"you can't, it's steep, jungkook," taehyung panicked as jungkook grabbed his shoulders with empty reassurance.

"you're going to be fine," banging interrupted his sentences. "trust me."

taehyung's breath hitched as he slipped his legs through the square panel and felt his arms being lifted down.

for a second as taehyung departs, he connects eyes with jungkook. jungkook silently nods and doesn't have time to deal with hesitation.

jungkook impatiently hustled to get taehyung out, and just as he was about to escape, the door began to be kicked in.

shit.

jungkook stood in his tracks as officers with dark hair and features broke through the door.

"this ends now, mr. jeon," they announced, making jungkook take a deep breath, trying to collect his thoughts.

jungkook takes cautious steps backwards, raven hair shining defiantly in the sun as officers armed with badges and guns approach.

"jeon jungkook," the taller officer's voice thunders through the building. "you're under arrest."

when his feet hit the pavement, laces in a mess, taehyung's heart drops as he hears the low voices of officers commanding jungkook to keep his hands up.

"you have the right to remain still and silent."

it might have been stupid, but there was still another window panel.

and that meant there was still chance of escape.

jungkook made a final decision.

"we have every right to end your life right now," one of the officers said, but hesitated with his gun as it wavered in direction to jungkook's head.

"oh, do you?" jungkook mused.

keeping his hands up with a sadistic smile across his face, he let his weight fall back on him as he collided with the window, sending glass shards raining down like broken chandeliers.

the police officers realized their missed chance and fired, obliterating what was left of the window. people in nearby rooms screamed as the loud noises shook the motel.

feeling nothing but helplessness, taehyung can't even think as he runs his shaking hands through jungkook's hair, trying to pick out pieces of glass, even though jungkook's eyebrows are furrowed and eyes aflame with hostility.

"no fucking time, let's just run," jungkook managed to get out before they began racing down the streets, as far away from there as they could.